• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Helping puppy poop!

notorious DUG

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I have this "found" dog.

And it behaves great... well other then the raunchy farts. Only hting is I can not seem to get it to relive itself outside.

She has not even tried in the house but I would like to convince her to go before I trun in for the night. More then a lack of having ot go I think she is just unsur eof the "new" yard. she sniffs and sniffs but never seems to find aplace to leave a mark.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make her feel better baout crapping in my yard or training devices people may have used with her to signal it is OK for her to crap?

Thanks!

Put her in a small cage for the night. Dogs will not go where they have to sleep. Plan to get up at least once to let her out when she cant hold it anymore.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Put her in a small cage for the night. Dogs will not go where they have to sleep. Plan to get up at least once to let her out when she cant hold it anymore.

Rev

It is entirely possible that the dog is stressed and won't do anything for about a day or so....... That's what happened to my dog the first time he rode in a car for a whole day.....
Kejtar
P.S. Btw.. you're right about the farts... in the case of my dog I could have sworn that he took care of business in gaseous form....

You have probably been through this..... but feed and water the pooch. Give it some time, then take it outside on a leash. It will pee first. Then walk around for a long time smelling everything. If ya have trees or tall grass, walk it there, or along the edge of same. Mine takes a smoke or two to *go* sometimes. Give it plenty of time.

Part of the problem is you are probably feeding it a different type of food than it is used to. Some dogs do not tolerate that at all. Might try an egg on a lil food, or some milk to calm its tummy.

Biggest thing is walking and time. If it chews on grass, be preparred for it to puke... usually inside, and probably next to your bed. Give it a few... the dog will eat it and clean up the floor again. :)

Good luck!
Glenn

notorious DUG said:
Ok, so I have this "found" dog.

And it behaves great... well other then the raunchy farts. Only hting is I can not seem to get it to relive itself outside.

She has not even tried in the house but I would like to convince her to go before I trun in for the night. More then a lack of having ot go I think she is just unsur eof the "new" yard. she sniffs and sniffs but never seems to find aplace to leave a mark.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make her feel better baout crapping in my yard or training devices people may have used with her to signal it is OK for her to crap?

Thanks!

What Rev said - dogs usually will not do a dookie where they sleep. I put mine in the kitchen (which has a door to the backyard). and then blocked off the access to the rest of the house with a baby-gate. It's worked so far.

What the Rev and Glenn said is true. Buy a dog crate for her to sleep in until she is house broken. (You should have one for traveling anyway.) Be vigilant. When she starts sniffing around, it means she's looking for a place to go. Best thing to do is take her out often until she get's the idea. Best times are after eating, playing and sleeping. Also, get her used to going in the same place in the yard. Take her to one area and let her do her business there. It makes cleaning the yard much easier and the rest of the yard much nicer. When she is sniffing around, encourage her to do her "business". That's the word we use for our labs. When she goes, praise her for doing her "business". She will be crapping on queue in no time. Pick up poop often. If the area gets too full, she'll move to another spot. What you feed your dog makes a big difference on consistancy and size of poops. Science diet is good for your dog and makes small firm turds. Purina dog chow is the worst. Big and sloppy.

RR3

busch beer and something from flash taco works for me. its worth a try.

cheers,

jj

To help encourage puppies poop, the momma dog licks the puppy's anus.

Short of doing that, I would mostly suggest getting in a routine. After the dog eats take it outside and wait. Make it a big deal when it does finally relieve itself. Since puppies get fed 2-3 times a day (definitely do this for puppies, even full grown dogs do better with twice a day feedings) this will quickly become a routine they will understand.

Edit - I just reread it and realized it's not a puppy. The above still holds true for a new dog. If it's a found dog, you don't know what kind of baggage it has from previous owners so you need to be more patient and flexible. The gas may be just from eating a different food that it's used to.

Took our dog in today to be nutered.In the past I put the pad out of his crate in the back of the XJ for him to rest on.Not today ,used a pad from work(trash from under Alum coils)that has a cloth side and a water proof coating(good tent /work pads) for him to stand on.
Well 10 min into the ride to the vet I got hit buy the most nastey smell and the dog wanted over the seat.
Must have been a 5 lb flopper back there--------------,and this dog had nothing to eat for a day.
Be patient if it went in it will come out.
Wayne

DXJ said:
To help encourage puppies poop, the momma dog licks the puppy's anus.

Short of doing that, I would mostly suggest getting in a routine. After the dog eats take it outside and wait. Make it a big deal when it does finally relieve itself. Since puppies get fed 2-3 times a day (definitely do this for puppies, even full grown dogs do better with twice a day feedings) this will quickly become a routine they will understand.

Edit - I just reread it and realized it's not a puppy. The above still holds true for a new dog. If it's a found dog, you don't know what kind of baggage it has from previous owners so you need to be more patient and flexible. The gas may be just from eating a different food that it's used to.

I guess we were lucky with our Springer Spaniel. We would put her outside, or anywhere for that matter, and tell her to "go pee". She would do whichever she had to do and be done with it. That and she would let us know when she needed to go by standing at the door, or staring at us and then walking to the door until we got the point.

On the topics of gastrointestinal problems, you are outta luck. Samantha's(the springer) gas could gag a maggot, and woke her up from deep sleeps occasionally. Funniest thing in the world to see a dog woken from her sleep and barking at her ass because she farted....I miss my doggy.

Not mch help for your ?s, but oh well

Fergie

We had a german shepherd that would wake himself up with a fart, look at his a$$, catch a whiff of himself and then quickly leave the room.

RR3

Fergie said:
Funniest thing in the world to see a dog woken from her sleep and barking at her ass because she farted....

Mine only gives me a dirty look as though I did it and then he vacates the premises......

Back