• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Puppy dog morality question...

notorious DUG

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so on my way home from work I found a yellow lab around 6 months old runnign around in the middle of traffic on Sheridan road (major 4 lane road). She was coming very close to getting hit so I wnet and picked her up. Went to vet about a block away to see if they knew her or anyone had lost a pup right there, no such luck. Dawn, on her way home, saw a chocolate lab killed in the road. People had reported them in the road together.

she has a collar and looks cared for... but not fantasticly. She has no tags, breeder marks nor is she chipped. No local police department has had a call for a lost dog matchign her description.

She is well mannered and cute as can be. I do fully intend to look for the rightfull owners but to be honest I want to keep her...

So the big morality question is for how long and how to I attempt to find the owners before I give up. I figure on watching the paper for the next couple of weeks and checking back with the local vet and PD, both of whom have my info and thedogs info....

her is pretty puppy:

dawn_pup.jpg

Ahhh man, that sucks. I'd say ya gotta give it at least a week or so of trying to find the owner. No collar is a bad sign for the owner. You are the man for picking her up. God forbid, if I ever lost my dog and couldn't find her, I'd hope she'd end up in good hands. Weird situation, good luck with it.

Take her to the vet and have her ID scanned. Alot of dogs have the AVID chip implanted and it can be scanned by the vet to revel the owner. If she has no AVID then watch the papers.

Rev

Most states require shelters etc to hold the dog from 3-7 working days before the can adopt out or put on to sleep. In your case, I would do as you suggested in watching the paper and calling local Veterinarians and the PD. I would also recommend calling the local animal shelter(s) and reporting the dog as well. If you do not hear form an owner in a couple of weeks, I'd keep it without regrets.

Rev, he said he wasn't "chipped" so he's already checked. It's a shame more people don't know about Microchipping or simply don't think it's worth it. We'll spend $75 on drinking on Sat night with the gang but $30 for a microchip that can get your dog back home is "too damn much" :mad:

Bones :skull1:
Veterinarian since 1990 (now you know the significance in my avatar.)

Bones said:
Rev, he said he wasn't "chipped" so he's already checked. It's a shame more people don't know about Microchipping or simply don't think it's worth it. We'll spend $75 on drinking on Sat night with the gang but $30 for a microchip that can get your dog back home is "too damn much" :mad:

I am right ther ewith you on this one. I can not see how anyone would not have it done to their pets from the start. Often you can get it dine for like 10-15 bucks if you do it along with the spay!

Bones has it exactly right. If you watch the paper/had it scanned for a chip and contact the animal shelter/PD..hell, you've gone the extra mile. Hard not to bond in a couple weeks, but if you have to give it back would be hard. Then again, I'd hate to lose my dog anytime, much less 2 weeks before xmas..

Yeah man, props for grabbing her!

My dog Duncan is my main man! Being part Hound (and part Pyrenese) I can't let him off lease or he's gone on the track of something....

As long as you keep an eye out for the owners posting things and checking with the vet, if they WANT to find the dog, they will....but I'd bank on them not, just because no collar is a sign of lack of care/responsibility on their part....

She like riding in the XJ?

Duncan LOVES it!

5.jpg

I feel ALL DOGS should be chipped. It gives them a call home when they don't have any change.

My Jeep dog was chipped within a week of coming to live with us (and neutered the day after he hiked a leg for the first time).

Auzzie (aka. Short Shaft), Moab 4X4X4 club Oct, 2003
OznXJ-vi.jpg

Bones :skull1:

Back