• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! xj wont smog!

Gavin96

NAXJA Forum User
HEY! im new to NAXJA as well as jeeping and need some direction..
i took my truck to some ghetto smog place in santa ana and had it hooked up to their computer (its a 1996 4cyl) and it read that my engine was running lean. said it could be a sensor or the maf.
he wanted $210 to pass it the "special way" but for that price i think it could be fixed to pass..
any ideas or advise?
any help would be greatly apreciated
thanks,
gavin

210 for a special is pricy... try switchin the o2 sensor and maybe the map

Do you have the actual readings the machine did when they smogged your jeep? If so post up the numbers for the co's hc's and nox both idle and 25mph.. That would be the best way to help you figure what could possibly be wrong..

Or if your free you can swing by my place we can look it over and I will have agander at ur readings, alek is going to be over at 9 using my jack and stands to do tie red end while he is doing that we can look at urs pm coiming your way with number.

Peace
Ted

Do you have the actual readings the machine did when they smogged your jeep? If so post up the numbers for the co's hc's and nox both idle and 25mph.. That would be the best way to help you figure what could possibly be wrong..

x2

We can't help with "my jeep failed smog" unless you tell us what number were high......I guess by "us" I mean Scotty because he is who I call when I fail smog!!! Well......then I bought a Bronco and it LOVES smog shops :wave1:

Thanks alot for the responses. I didnt get a printout from the shop.

Ted it would be great to meet another xj owner so close by! We should definately meet up!

Try a differnt shop, they should have given you a print out even faililng the test requires them to show you the readings. Sounds like a shady shop trying to squeeze your wallet.

Try a differnt shop, they should have given you a print out even faililng the test requires them to show you the readings. Sounds like a shady shop trying to squeeze your wallet.

I would tend to agree with this, especially since they offered you a "special" smog without ever seeing you before. Guys that cheat the system don't go around blabbing about it to everyone that walks in - he might have tried to convince you it needed a special smog and would have just ran the test normal after you got taken for hundreds of dollars.

Did he look like he was from Iran, and he has an uncle around the corner with a repair shop that specializes in repairing O2 sensors for $250?

I think I know the place. Stay away from them. He wanted me to leave my kids with him. If my wife ever sees him she's going to :skull2: him!!!!

Thanks alot guys for the guidance. I'm definately not goin back to that guy lol
I met with ted yesterday anbd hope to again today. Hes gonna try an run some tests with some computer doohickey lol
fingers crossed

I tried to smog mine last night and the guy said he wouldn't do it because it has a tiny exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold where it meets the head and it's leaking very dangerous carbon monoxide gasses into the air.

What's with people???

Dam now I'm replacing gaskets this weekend! Doesn't look easy with that intake manifold in the way. Do I need to take that off too?

=(

When ted plugged into mine it didnt throw any codes theis time. the hheeps actually runnin good! replced the car and rotor and plugs. actually all but one. Ones strippedand stuck in there!!

Back