• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with a SYE install in trade for parts.

Producer_Shawn

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to undertake a SYE install and was hoping for some experienced help. I have a fully equipped shop and air tools. I will be picking up a press this week.

Anyhow I have a 8.25 rear end and stock drive shaft that could be your for the low price of some time. There will also be beverage of your choice, I would like to knock it out Saturday after noon.

I am in Shadow Hills, CA

Does your shop include large snap ring pliers? That's the only thing I needed since my three other sets were too small. Everything else is various sockets and wrenches in pretty common sizes.

Get a set like these Now. Before you start. Most use a lock ring and these make it Much easier and with less change of curse words and yelling.

SRP2B.jpg

41SeUwcjidL.jpg

I left it in but I'm regretting it now mostly because of what MudButt said. I have a leak between the halves that was probably from me trying to hump it up and smeared some rtv. While it's out, you should change the front output seal and bearing and check the case for marring from a loose chain. If the marring is there, be prepared to get a new chain too.

I always pull them when people want them done......you will get a better seal on them as well as get the pump assembly back together easier. I find it takes no more time to pull it and work it on the bench than it does in the car.

I do it late at night and then let it cure then put it in the next morning usually.

So, I left it in. Wasn't too bad. I can tell I need to go through my 231 with a new chain and seals. This will get through the summer.

Some things I learned.

1. Snap ring pliers a MUST. I cannot imagine doing this without them
2. The oil tube was a pain. But I found a trick. Use some thin wire to pull it forward as you lift up on the yoke. use a small flat head to push it the rest of the way in.
3. If you leave it in you will have a sore neck from working underneath the jeep.
4. I lucked out and did not have to cut the shifter post or press out any needle bearings.
5. My jeep has lots of tiny leaks.
6. Air tools are so nice
7. Make sure you have a 1 1/8" socket and a good impact
8. Transfer cases are not as scary as I thought. I think I may grab a used one and do a rebuild on it to drop in this winter.

Back