• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shop suggestions or labor for beer trade - Gear Install

RONCXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So beginning my build this next month and am wanting to get stuff lined up for an axle regear over the summer. Dana 30 and Dana 35. 1999 XJ limited.

Looking for suggestions in NC or upstate SC or East TN. I live in Shelby NC.

Would also be willing to drive to a shop, help as much as possible, and provide plenty of adult beverages/petty cash if a member wants to help out a new guy with a gear install.

Let me know and thanks in advance for the help!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. Not to put your plans down, but you're not going to find many people excited to help regear a D35. I'm not one of those guys who push my own opinions on people, just something to think about. The D35 is an inferior axle that has proven it's weakness time and again. For the money you would spend to regear it, you could search out a Chrysler 8.25 or a Ford 8.8. The 8.8 can be had for a few hundred dollars and is likely to already have 3.73 gears. Just food for thought

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Welcome. Not to put your plans down, but you're not going to find many people excited to help regear a D35. I'm not one of those guys who push my own opinions on people, just something to think about. The D35 is an inferior axle that has proven it's weakness time and again. For the money you would spend to regear it, you could search out a Chrysler 8.25 or a Ford 8.8. The 8.8 can be had for a few hundred dollars and is likely to already have 3.73 gears. Just food for thought

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I second that. A Chrysler 8.25 has been proven to me to be plenty for a stock jeep axle.

Still holding up to 35s locked in the rocks. Just throw some discs brakes on it and be merry.

Yes get a 8.25 and ditch that 35. What gears/tires you going to run? East Coast Gear Supply is the one I recommend but I think he is in Raleigh. My friend Lenny does it here in Hartsville, SC for a very reasonable charge.

Get an 8.25 from a 1997 to 2001 for the 29 spline axles. The earlier models will have 27 splines.

I will begin the search for a 8.25 locally to me. Plan is to run 31x10.50 now and 33x10.50 in the future. That's why I was thinking 4.56 for the doing it once mentality. I have considered East Coast Gear and my friend just re-geared his 96 Tacoma to 4.88 with ECGS third members. It's all just time and money anyway right?

With just 31's, I wouldn't regear. I ran 33's on stock 3.55 gears for almost 2 years. Only reason I stopped was because I went to 3/4 ton axles and 37s.

But, if you must regear, ECGS does a fantastic job. I found it much cheaper to strip the axle down myself and take them a bare housing. If I recall correctly, it was right at $200 to install the gears when I dropped off a bare housing. That cost is obviously just the labor.

Back