• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP PLZ!!! 89 XJ

Replaced the filter... Looked to have some stuff on it but wasnt too bad... I cant figure out how the STUPID lock ring goes back on..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

any suggestions?

Line up the lock ring with the tabs, there is one tab that is longer if I remember correctly. Using a brass drift (so you will not cause a spark and kill yourself) drive the ring around until it is seated all the way.

And adjust the TPS (X whatever) after you find out the pump was not the issue.

I got it replaced!! Finally got the stupid ring to go underneath all the lips... I feel like i just had a major ab workout from that... Hopefully the thing stays locked... :?

Unforunatly this did not fix my problem... Still does the same thing... AHHHHH... I am low on fuel though.. I will have to grab a 5gallon can and fuel it up tomorrow and test it again...

Any other suggestions as to my problem??
I will get a volt meter tmrw and test do the TPS...

TPS adjustment
Check the fuel pressure, may be the regulator
plugged cat....maybe
Ballast resistor to fuel pump, bypass it

The list could go on and on

I'm glad I got fed up reading "adjust your damn TPS" suggestions on page 1 and never even bothered saying it.

New tactic...

smokinall4, you should replace and adjust EVERYTHING EXCEPT the TPS

if it makes you feel better, I can put up a craigslist listing as a mechanic and you can pay me $50 to say this.

Last edited:
:Dkeep checking craigslist

Are you sure it's the TPS? What about the guy on the first page who said you need to replace the cat every 30,000 miles?

After changing the cat that I would try the headlight fluid. Could be low. Only thing left after that is Gremlins.

I say it's the cat. Sometimes the muffler bearings come loose and then clog up the cat. Shitty design. Most people just weld in a new muffler. Take a look at Flowmaster.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread, but do the muffler bearings go before the "O" pipe or after? (got my O pipe from Kalecoauto.com - sweet. passed emissions with almost zero readings for NOx)

I was going to hook up the PCM to the Retroencabulator to get more accurate codes from the O2 sensor than I would get from a regular scan tool just to be sure.

Are you sure it's the TPS? What about the guy on the first page who said you need to replace the cat every 30,000 miles?

After changing the cat that I would try the headlight fluid. Could be low. Only thing left after that is Gremlins.

I thought cats were to be replaced every 9 lives, not every 30000 miles. Maybe I am confusing replacement schedule with warranty term.

If you find that you suddenly have cats, the answer is to replace your live in wife/GF immediately. How about a nice girl with a golden retriever who likes football.

So I replaced the in tank fuel pump and filter, and still same problem.. I also replaced the TPS as well. I dont have a fuel gauge and i dont have an electric meter to adjust the TPS.. So next step i am doing is haviong my friend come over with those tools and do some tests for me.. I will keep all pposted with what happens... I mat be replacing fuel injects:(

Back