• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!!! Jeep not safe for family

Nope.

Only thing we did was unbolt the control arms and put on the drop brackets.

All the bolts were tight, I remember this for a fact. Didn't touch the bushings either or use different control arms.

My friend went through the same thing with his '01. Lifted it 5.5" and fought deathwobble for months checking EVERYTHING.

Put on drop brackets and it went away immediately. Same deal, same arms and bushings.

I've noticed that CASTER seriously effects DW. Changed my caster 2 degrees and it went away.

By adding Drop brackets and using the same control arms changed your caster. I would assume that's why it went away.

Lot of good advice in this thread.

Did you pull the steering box and check for unibody cracks or a crumbled spacer?

Ok sorry it took me so long to reply, so far ive got new shocks, fixed the crack, and its the stock track bar with a drop on the axle, the control arms are fixed and give it slight but equal caster with no drop, ok im starting to think its not the front, fixed eveything or upgraded everything up there, u-joints, sterring, new track bar, bushings, has drop pitman arm, hub assemblies, even checked calapers, alignment, wheels balanced, everything is tight and greased. They said the wheels were slightly bent but would be ok with weights but im still going to try a differnt set, I have the peogot tranny that im getting rid of but the mount is really worn could that couse some kind of vibration to couse wobble, and what is the better tranny to straight swap in there, im collecting parts to have a ford 8.8 rear with slip yoke elliminator and a dana 44 g2 in front is there anything bad in running that set up, does it matter the 8.8 is like 3/4 in shorter, it seems like it never ends i just want to go on a high way again.

if its short arm with no drop brackets that can possibly cause death wobble

Not possibly it is the issue or at least a major contributer. Call up Clayton and order you a nice new lifetime guaranteed long arm setup it is the best money you will ever spend on your Jeep. I was in the same boat as you before my long arms, after I put them on it handles drives and rides better than stock and I am on 35" bias ply Swampers.

"I have a 88 Jeep Cherokee

Mods.
rugged ridge sterring"

Well more than likely you have answered your own question. Everyone I know that has run the Rugged Ridge steering has ended up removing it for one reason or another but most removed it for the crazy steering problems it created.

I saw a Cherokee with the Rugged Ridge steering on Saturday. The dead zone in the steering response was huge due to the design of the steering linkage mounted to the side of the crossover steering link.

I could imagine the steering compounding a minor wobble into something major, since their was so much play in the design. The owner asked me about my steering setup and will be replacing his with the Currie system soon.

Changing the steering may not solve the problem, but it is probably part of it.

my sterring is tight for now, just bought the kit, is it vary hard to put a better tranny in my jeep, meaning to i had to fab any parts or can it all bolt in,the mount is worn out and i can not find a new one anywere, bought a long arm kit that didnt fit my tranny mount, had to return it, the only long arm kit i know of that will work on my jeep is iron man and im still waiting to get my money back from the first one

Back