• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help Building a Stroker in Birmingham

AlabamaDan

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I've got to build the engine in my 88 XJ and I was thinking of going with a stroker. I mean why rebuilt to stock - right? Is there anyone in the Birmingham, Alabama area who has done this and can offer some advice on what and how the did it?

Thanks,
Danny

Hey Dan! Hurley Engine Supply Company......they've been at it a long time. They're downtown on 2nd Ave. They kinda specialize in 4.0L strokers.
I'm personally going LS series when the time comes for me.

www.hesco.us

There are a few websites that deal specifically with stroked 4.0L. Try looking around the performance sub-forum.

O ya they really know strokers! No, I've never built one. Wouldn't know where to begin....wish I did. Sorry wish I could help.

The www.jeepstrokers.com forum and http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/ will provide you with 90% of the information you will need.

The big "local" question you will need to solve is finding a good and affordable machine shop. They will be your best friend or worst enemy for the build. I was lucky enough to skip that step, however I had found a shop I was prepared to go with before buying a built block.

One thing to consider... from recent SEC experience, the stroker will not like your Renix harness as much as a HO. Not to say it can't or shouldn't be done, but it's a consideration.

Edit: Your work into the motor will be minimal. Because the rods/pistons have to be pressed, its common practice to have the machine shop assemble your lower end. Also a very good idea to have the shop assemble the head, although cost wise you will definitely consider doing any port and polish work yourself. If you are comfortable with doing a head gasket, you can build a stroker.

Last edited:
Jeepstrokers.com.

I think I'd recommend a long rod version. I think they're better for torque. Do a little gasket match port job and maybe a light cam upgrade.

I think there is info out there on building a Renix stroker too, you may need to look at upgrading something more than just the motor.
Also, from personal experience. Get a external trans oil cooler. I blew a tranny learning that lesson.
There are a few guys here also that have good running strokers. It's well worth the money and work, trust me. (even though I didn't build or install mine, it's worth it)
Try the performance area.

Back