• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heepspeed's Mojave Road Trip April 15-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on permits: I called to get the situation on permits.

Thanks GSequoia for your info which led me to calling! I would rather not deal with getting a permit for over 7 vehicles. We already have two for sure going (me and my buddy).

If there is a LOT of extra interest in this run, then I'll get the permit, but we split the $50 fee and we need to figure out which large campground to stay at - basically it means more planning that I have to do...so just a heads up that there might be a 7 car limit which means we're 28% full!

For those with Mojave Road experience, my brother wants to meet us out there with his Subaru Outback awd. He's traveling from up north - would he be able to drive the road in that car? Pictures make it seem like it's possible (if some sections require a quick pull in sand...) Thoughts?

For those with Mojave Road experience, my brother wants to meet us out there with his Subaru Outback awd. He's traveling from up north - would he be able to drive the road in that car? Pictures make it seem like it's possible (if some sections require a quick pull in sand...) Thoughts?

Not if you plan to cross Soda Dry Lake. Also, there's a section between US95 and Lanfair Road that very twisty and requires good flex.

I would be leary of trying to run an Outback through the MR. Ground clearence, approach and departure angles would probably be an issue. THere is a good section of the trail that crosses perpendicular to a major wash. With the recent rains there may be some significant washouts, etc.

Man, I really want to see an Outback go through this section. That's a pic of my buddy's truck going through the water and a pic of my truck after the muddy section.:roll:

100_6378.jpg 100_6408.jpg

HEADS UP!!!

THE NAXJA SOCALFEST IS NO LONGER APRIL 24-25 AND MY TRIP WILL BE MOVED TO THAT WEEKEND TO ALLOW MORE PARTICIPANTS!!!

Is that okay with people? Sorry for SO many date changes, but I think this one will be official since it's a weekend. We'll be able to drive out leisurely on Friday and camp overnight at the trail head. Then we can run the road Saturday and Sunday.

I will start a new OFFICIAL thread depending on response.

Question: Would a small uhaul trailer make it on the Mojave Road? I'm looking at buying a used M416 for $1,000 for the trip and the future, but it just seems like a lot of money to cough up when I could rent a small uhaul (like pictured below) for < $100 for my whole trip.

My issue comes up because I will most likely have 4 people in my rig and with camping gear and the such - it gets packed...almost too packed. I could justify the trailer by saying I'll use it when I go to baja to pack up and load surfboards on and to use it as a base camp build...but still.

Thoughts? Perhaps someone has a 416 or similar trailer they'd like to rent out?

trailer-4x7open.jpg

Question: Would a small uhaul trailer make it on the Mojave Road? I'm looking at buying a used M416 for $1,000 for the trip and the future, but it just seems like a lot of money to cough up when I could rent a small uhaul (like pictured below) for < $100 for my whole trip.

My issue comes up because I will most likely have 4 people in my rig and with camping gear and the such - it gets packed...almost too packed. I could justify the trailer by saying I'll use it when I go to baja to pack up and load surfboards on and to use it as a base camp build...but still.

trailer-4x7open.jpg
You could throw some 3" lift blocks and 33's on it and it would be fine :D

trailer-4x7open.jpg

If I can get my roommate to take his spare engines out of it, you can use my Bantam M100. Its old and beat, so you cant jump it.. but it works.

Let me warn you everything in an open trailer on that trip will end up covered in dirt and sand.

photo295.jpg

Sequioa has a 416 in much better shape he may be willing to lend too.

If I can get my roommate to take his spare engines out of it, you can use my Bantam M100. Its old and beat, so you cant jump it.. but it works.
Let me warn you everything in an open trailer on that trip will end up covered in dirt and sand.
Sequioa has a 416 in much better shape he may be willing to lend too.

Thanks, Cal! The smaller the better because it would be used to haul firewood, water cans, jerry can, spare tire, and probably a pelican case or two.
All of that can get as dusty as it wants :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back