• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater core replacement....

We should have a HC replacment party:repair:

Sounds like fun, but I wont be in the springs(calhan) til xmas. Hoping to get the XJ up there this year.

Back from the grave because (1) it was entertaining, :roflmao:(2) it has a WJ in it :guitar:, and (3) I have to undertake this horror shortly, and want some input from you dudes(n)

so I have a definitive coolant smell with the heat/ac on, my understanding is that is almost certainly a heater core issue...

I have two alternatives for replacement cores, one aluminum, one copper -- which is recommended in order to make sure I NEVER have to do this again?:anon:

Ouch!! Sorry to hear Chris. That is what you get for ditching your underpowered XJ :moon:I am usually in the Springs Thursday - Saturday and can lend a hand if needed. This weekend is bad for me as it is my drill weekend. Let me know what your plans are and I will see if I can help ya.

thanks Ira, I'll let you know but likely not until november (brrr), since it is my DD and will be going under the knife then anyway -- currently accumulating repair parts (rear wiper motor, clockspring, heater blend doors, heater core) and lift parts (WOOT) to knock it all out in Nov.!!

That would be the HC Delete Mod.

Its really nice to take something like that out, and not have to worry about putting it back in.:D

Less weight, and a lot of fun to remove.
005-2.jpg

thanks Ira, I'll let you know but likely not until november (brrr), since it is my DD and will be going under the knife then anyway -- currently accumulating repair parts (rear wiper motor, clockspring, heater blend doors, heater core) and lift parts (WOOT) to knock it all out in Nov.!!

Send me a PM when you have the details and I will be glad to lend a hand!

Its really nice to take something like that out, and not have to worry about putting it back in.:D

Less weight, and a lot of fun to remove.
005-2.jpg

:twak:....... I like to stay warm when playin in the snow!!

Back from the grave because (1) it was entertaining, :roflmao:(2) it has a WJ in it :guitar:, and (3) I have to undertake this horror shortly, and want some input from you dudes(n)

so I have a definitive coolant smell with the heat/ac on, my understanding is that is almost certainly a heater core issue...

I have two alternatives for replacement cores, one aluminum, one copper -- which is recommended in order to make sure I NEVER have to do this again?:anon:
xwhatever copper all the way.

Copper will also be better for heat transfer, not sure you would notice it though, but it has the potential to heat better.
Yep, it's a significant difference holding all other factors (wall thickness, etc etc) constant, but I don't think the metal is the bottleneck in this case. Still a better idea to use it :thumbup:

My input:

:flame::flame::flame::smsoap:

:conceited:flame::flame::flame::flame:

next step: insurance claim

Back