• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater core replacement....

Were you fingers frozen when you got done? It was bitter cold out there.....yuck!

I cross my fingers I will never have to get in there and replace my heater core anytime soon, if it does I will drive down and visit Frank Z :callme: and he can help he is an expert now. :D

FWIW, my hourly rate for this repair is $6 brazillion!

Like this?

d133.jpg

Back from the grave because (1) it was entertaining, :roflmao:(2) it has a WJ in it :guitar:, and (3) I have to undertake this horror shortly, and want some input from you dudes(n)

so I have a definitive coolant smell with the heat/ac on, my understanding is that is almost certainly a heater core issue...

I have two alternatives for replacement cores, one aluminum, one copper -- which is recommended in order to make sure I NEVER have to do this again?:anon:

Copper, hands down. A whole lot less susceptible to corrosion than an aluminum. Aluminum will be easier to tweak pushing hoses on/pulling off as well - which usually results in a leak at a soldered joint.

That would be the HC Delete Mod.

that's what I'm currently running, and it was a little chilly this AM... thank pete for heated seats.

thanks yella, I'll order it up, along with a couple gallons of patience.

I have a copper heater core from my 84XJ I had boughten new. It was in the Jeep for less than 2 years before my wife made me put an A-C in it. I don't know if it will fit your XJ.

Last edited:
nope, different part number - thanks, though Rick. I ordered the copper this afternoon.

Wow, after seeing the pics, not looking forward to doing this!! Mom's 1990 is clogges and needs to be replaced.

yeah, enthusiasm is not the emotion this job inspires.

We should have a HC replacment party:repair: I've been puttin mine off for a couple years now:banghead:.......now there is coolant running into the floor board and mist coming from the vents. :explosionGona have to do it this weekend! Damn it this sucks!:bawl::bawl::bawl:

Make sure there are no leaks under the hood first. I've smelled coolant when the leak was in the engine bay.

there's coolant fog on the windshield from defrost, pretty sure its the core...

Back