• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Core Hose?????

My_Little_Pony

NAXJA Forum User
Alright long story short.....I Just replaced my Thermostat, lower radiator hose, and my Water Pump. I am still leaking antifreeze on the driver side of the oil pan. If it is leaking down there, could it be my Heater Core hose?

There's a drain plug on the driver's side of the engine (under the exhaust manifold). You could also have a leak at the temp sensor - located on the head by fuel injector #6. Then again, there's always the possibiliy of a head gasket leak... oh fun.
Good Luck

ps: The hoses leading to and from the heater core are on the passenger's side of the engine.

Thank you.....I think you might be right on the temp sensor leak. How do I fix that? Is that a long process? Is it hard to do?

Also, is there an easy way to burp the cooling system?

PS...Where is the Heater Control Valve located?

Last edited:
My_Little_Pony said:
Thank you.....I think you might be right on the temp sensor leak. How do I fix that? Is that a long process? Is it hard to do?

Also, is there an easy way to burp the cooling system?

PS...Where is the Heater Control Valve located?

What year is your XJ and what engine?

I doubt your leak is the temp sender, but it might be. There are several "freeze plugs" inserted into the block at locations where the casting process needs openings to the outside. On an older engine that hasn't been well cared for, it's not unusual for a freeze plug to start weeping. When that happens, you have to drain down the system, pop out the old plug, clean up the hole, and press in a new one.

Before you just start randomly replacing things because various people give you suggestions of what it could be, take those suggestions as what they are -- a road map of where to look. But clean off the engine and FIND the leak before you start throwing money at it.

it is a 1989 with the 4.0 liter. The leak seems to be coming from the very front driver side of the oil pan. It's not alot that comes out, but it just drips and drips. I think you might be right on the freeze plug, cause it is a small amount, kind of like weeping. Where would one of these freeze plugs be located. I am not too familiar with engine part names, can remove and replace them, but don't know names. Is there any pictures of these freeze plugs??

My_Little_Pony said:
it is a 1989 with the 4.0 liter. The leak seems to be coming from the very front driver side of the oil pan. It's not alot that comes out, but it just drips and drips. I think you might be right on the freeze plug, cause it is a small amount, kind of like weeping. Where would one of these freeze plugs be located. I am not too familiar with engine part names, can remove and replace them, but don't know names. Is there any pictures of these freeze plugs??

Hit up a parts store and look at them, they come in packages like screws or bolts. They look like plugs, brass plugs and steel ones. I prefer the brass ones myself they don't corrode. I'd also look at your tstat housing, they weep too if the gasket is going.

IF the gasket surface wasn't perfectly clean...or was nicked/gouged in the cleaning process, when you replaced the water pump and thermostat..the new gasket won't get a good seal and will leak.

My suggestion is to follow Eagle's advice, clean the engine and track down the leak. Spend $35-40 and purchase a cooling system pressure tester, pump the system up and then look for the steady drip.

good luck,
Tom

Alright, I got a picture of where my leak is coming from...click on the link below and scroll down until you get to the first too pictures (one shows a puddle of antifreeze and the other shows where the leak is coming from). In the picture of where the leak is coming from, there is an oil line that has a bracket holding it up next to the oil pan......that bracket is where my antifreeze is dripping from. So, my only guess is it's still leaking from the weep hole. How do I get it to stop leaking from the weep hole? I JUST replaced the water pump (05/25/04) and JUST replaced my thermostat (05/22/04). I properly put gasket sealant on the gaskets, so I don't know.

http://www.jeepin.com/features/waterpump/index.asp

Last edited:
You really have to figure out where it actually leaks from. A leak at the weep hole means the seal on the pump shaft is bad. If so, you have to replace the water pump. Did you use a quality new or rebuilt pump or was it the cheapest you could find? I recently has one leaking between the pump and the block because the pump housing was somewhat erroded. Pull out the air box and inspect throughly.

My guess .. which is a GUESS ... is the the thermostat slipped while you were installing the housing, and the housing didn't seat flat to the head.

I hear you on the new water pump. It shouldn't be leaking. But it might have been defective. But we can't do this for you. The Jeep is in your driveway. You have to inspect and determine if the drip is coming from the weep hole, the water pump flange, or the thermostat housing flange.

Thanks guys, I was getting a little nervous about not having it ready this weekend.....Well I got it working perfect now!!! it does not leak or nothing and the temperature gauge sits under 210. Thanks for all the advice and help!! Oh yeah, I just put some more sealant on the thermostat and the water pump.

PaulJ said:
I hope you don't mean you just gooped it on the outside.
:scared:

Back