• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat insulating paint?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
It'd probably have to be some sort of ceramic based stuff, but I don't think I saw anything like that in stores. So can anyone think of anything cheap (and easy to apply like rattle can based) that would do the trick?

Not exactly sure what you want it for, but if you've stripped your interior down to nothing, THIS STUFF works really well. At $90/gallon it's a really good buy, coverage they state is 50-60 square feet at a 15mil thickness. I put on about double that on the interior of an extended cab toyota, not only did it sound as quiet as a Caddy from the dampening characteristics but made a big difference thermally too. Blast the AC and come back out a bit later, still felt cool. In the winter it retained heat much better...

AJsArmor said:
Not exactly sure what you want it for, but if you've stripped your interior down to nothing, THIS STUFF works really well. At $90/gallon it's a really good buy, coverage they state is 50-60 square feet at a 15mil thickness. I put on about double that on the interior of an extended cab toyota, not only did it sound as quiet as a Caddy from the dampening characteristics but made a big difference thermally too. Blast the AC and come back out a bit later, still felt cool. In the winter it retained heat much better...
Yeah, that's what i was looking for!!! I'm actually looking at it for couple aplpcations:
1. I'm reworking my air intake and I'd like to insulate it a bit
2. I wanted to lay some of it underneath the carpet before I was going to put it back in.
Thanks

R-24!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!

That is neat stuff (I wanted to say COOL STUFF but??? :D )!

AJ, what did you apply it with, Spray? Roller? Brush?

Need to sell what you didn't use!

hinkley

BTW, I read this and was going to give you crap big time Remi! :D BUT?????

I used the Cascade products when I was doing custom stereo installs, for the money it's 100% better than any other dampening product, especially the sheets. For application, brush, foam roller both work great but if you're doing a big surface such as the inside of a roof or floor-spraying goes on better and more consistent. I prefered using the brush on smaller surfaces to minimize waste with overspray though, then hit up the rest with the sprayer. I used a cheap $10 Harbor Freight sprayer, can't remember the needle size but it was pretty big.

Wish I had some more, my XJ is getting gutted and cage built, dash reworked. Since I'll drive it in the winter I was thinking of spraying the inside with this stuff, then follow up with Herculiner or whatever.

If I didn't already have some bedliner purchased I would think about some of that hy-tech stuff.

But they do have the paint additive, I think I might try some of that, its only $12 bucks for enough to mix with 1 gallon.

Spanky414 said:
If I didn't already have some bedliner purchased I would think about some of that hy-tech stuff.

But they do have the paint additive, I think I might try some of that, its only $12 bucks for enough to mix with 1 gallon.
Where do you see the additive? I can't find it
Now that I have found the paint my quest is to find it in a smaller amount cause I don't need that much :D

bringing this thread and project back from the dead. I have ordered the cascade stuff, and now I'm trying to decide what to use to paint over it: herculiner is very tempting but what else have y'all used on top of this paint? Also how long did it take for it to dry? How much time between coats?

Back