• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat blowing warm not hot..

A little update. Yesterday my wife had car trouble so while I was getting her back on her way the cherokee was running for about an hour, to my surprise it was blowing hot heat and kept the inside nice and warm despite it being in the low 30's and sleeting. So I now believe that maybe the Thermostat is stuck open (defective). If you recall the thermostat was the first thing I changed. I used a Stant 195 degree thermostat (the lower end stant not premium). I also heard that if the thermostat is installed backwards it will stay open, well I installed it the same way the one I took out was (I believe the spring section went in to the block). Is that the correct way? Should I go to a 210 degree to help warm the engine quicker?

I also heard that if the thermostat is installed backwards it will stay open, well I installed it the same way the one I took out was (I believe the spring section went in to the block). Is that the correct way? Should I go to a 210 degree to help warm the engine quicker?

Yes spring inside and bleed hole at the top. It's possible there was some trapped air in the heater core also. I'd stick with the stock temp 195*.

Yes spring inside and bleed hole at the top. It's possible there was some trapped air in the heater core also. I'd stick with the stock temp 195*.

Hmm.. what bleed hole? I don't know what your referring to.. If this is at the bottom and not top could it cause the thermostat not to work correctly?

Yeah, stick with the 195 stock. The older systems (aka closed) needed a bleed hole to be drilled (or some came that way?) to let the air out. Newer systems don't need the bleed. Some people believe that they have gotten air pockets out of the newer ones by squeezing the upper radiator hose.

Back