• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headliner?

Dude do it yourself for sure. Search there's a lot of threads of info on here. I did mine ('91) pretty easily..Just went to fabric shop and picked out some funky canvas type stuff (if your gonna do it may as well have some style!) and used like 3 cans of 3m spray 77. Its been over a year hot n cold temps, still up fine. good luck

Dude do it yourself for sure. Search there's a lot of threads of info on here. I did mine ('91) pretty easily..Just went to fabric shop and picked out some funky canvas type stuff (if your gonna do it may as well have some style!) and used like 3 cans of 3m spray 77. Its been over a year hot n cold temps, still up fine. good luck
yeah i could do it but im afraid ill mess it up haha im thinkin of goin black instead of gray cause my jeeps black, but if i had it done professionally how much you think it would cost?

I had mine done in my 86 XJ many moons ago (about 15) and it was around $150. Nowadays your looking at maybe 200-250.

I had my ZJ done for about $200...3 years ago.

just did wifes XJ couple weeks ago, pretty much like the link above. used the original headliner as it was in good shape just falling down. A couple hours and 2 cans of 3M. Looks like new.

If you have cracks or sections breaking out on the headliner board you can reinforce it with 3M and art board on the back side

Last edited:
$40 and about 3 hours spread over 2 days, that includes taking it out, cleaning it, insulating the roof with foil/bubble type insulation, gluing, smoothing, trimming, and re-installing.

"insulating the roof with foil/bubble type insulation"
I was planning some sort of insulation myself. I wasn't sure about using the foil / bubble or some of the self stick stuff the audio guys use.
I was also planning to install a XM and a GPS antenna while the headliner was out.

Go to the junkyard, find an XJ with a good one, pull it, replace yours.

"insulating the roof with foil/bubble type insulation"
I was planning some sort of insulation myself. I wasn't sure about using the foil / bubble or some of the self stick stuff the audio guys use.
I was also planning to install a XM and a GPS antenna while the headliner was out.

Yeah, take advantage of it while you have it out. The dome light circuit is always hot, nice sparky action if the wiring touches the roof. I just used the foil insulation they sell at Home Depot. 4 ft. x 10 ft. just enough for the roof. I just sprayed the roof with 3M adhesive and cut pieces to go between the roof supports (I don't know if you even have to cut it).

I'll be re-doing my headliner soon as well. All the headliner material I have been seeing has 3/16" foam backing (both online and at the local fabric store) and it looks like the stock stuff might have been only 1/8" or so. I would prefer to find something closer to stock...what material did you use and where did you find it?

And as far as insulating the roof, are people finding it to be a worthwhile upgrade? Less noise, heat, etc? I might throw something up there if it will help quiet things down or keep the heat in/out.

I had mine redone earlier this year along with the sunvisors. It cost me 160 bucks. I took it out and dropped it off then reinstalled it.

They had the headliner and visors for about 6 hours.

Go to the junkyard, find an XJ with a good one, pull it, replace yours.
I don't think that's a good idea.
the stress put on the already fragile oem headliner by removing and installing will loosen the material and you'll soon be needing another replacement. I don't know of any other vehicle that has such a poorly designed headliner that fails rather early IMO.
I removed mine..sanded, primed and painted the original color.
No more wondering when the next time it will fail.

This is the kit/instructions I used. I used the same method on the MJ but bought the fabric at JoAnnes Fabric (just a fabric store). Make sure the fabric is long and wide enough to ensure a good 6" of extra fabric all around.

http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutorials/cherokee/

Do it in a CLEAN environment. I glued a 1/16th" size piece of gravel inside mine, still there....and use the 3M adhesive...I used 4 cans.

Last edited:
Im in the process of redoing my headliner right now. I was going to just glue in new fabric, but after not using enough glue the first time and getting fed up with it, I decided to do something similar to what crystalclean did, but I hate having the roof empty. I've had that on a previous Jeep and it got old real fast, so I'm spraying herculiner over the headliner board, then painting it to match the interior. I'll post pictures when I get done with it

Back