• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headers

I still think Banks is the way to go, maybe not necessary for a stock motor, but I highly recommend it for a stroker or any modded 4.0L

IMG_5106.jpg

partspic.jpg

(two piece design for 00/01s)

I still think Banks is the way to go, maybe not necessary for a stock motor, but I highly recommend it for a stroker or any modded 4.0L

(two piece design for 00/01s)

THANKS for the picture of the header, really had no idea what an aftermarket header for mine would look like. Ill most likely keep my engine stock for now because it runs very well, and with my gearing im am not in need of more power.

Whats the story of that crate engine.... very shiny!

edit: Do ALL 00/01 cherokee's have the 2 O2 sensors above the pre cats, Im pretty sure i only have 2 directly below them, and none on the main cat.

If I were to do a stroker, I would do a custom exhaust. Can the pre-cats be eliminated? I would put a very high quality cat before the muffler. I dont see how this would fail emissions testing, a catalytic converter can only do so much to help with pollutants.

Last edited:
edit: Do ALL 00/01 cherokee's have the 2 O2 sensors above the pre cats, Im pretty sure i only have 2 directly below them, and none on the main cat.

If I were to do a stroker, I would do a custom exhaust. Can the pre-cats be eliminated? I would put a very high quality cat before the muffler. I dont see how this would fail emissions testing, a catalytic converter can only do so much to help with pollutants.
1 - depends on the emissions setup I believe, Cali ones probably have the 2 above, 2 below, and one after the downstream cat. Federal/49 state I think don't have the ones downstream of the pre-cats, but have the ones upstream of them, because the ones before any catalytic converter are REQUIRED for proper MPFI operation - they are how the ECU "closes the loop" and determines if it needs to widen or narrow the injector pulses.
2 - pre-cats could be eliminated... but they are more efficient up there because the exhaust gasses are still real hot right there. If you already have them, just put them back on. If you don't already have them, you aren't required to so you could put them on if you wanted to (at the price they charge for those suckers you would be insane) or leave them off.

i had my APN on for 25k miles. took it off, no signs of cracks or fatigue. i'm keeping it, ceramic coating it, and its going on my current 4.0 when the stocker cracks, bc it will.

when you replace the header, replace the motor mounts. otherwise you'll crack whatever cheap ebay or expensive one-off custom twin scroll jetcoat fireman headers you get.

I'm running an Edelbrock on my '99. I'm happy with it, but really wish I had seen the APN before I purchased the Edelbrock. I think I spent close to $450 on it from Summitt, wasted a good bit of money, but hell why cry over spilled milk.

Ive heard pacesetter is a good alternative to building your own header. There welds are the main problem. I believe some people have completely re-welded them, then heat wrapped them and have had good luck.

Ive heard pacesetter is a good alternative to building your own header. There welds are the main problem. I believe some people have completely re-welded them, then heat wrapped them and have had good luck.

Or..... buy an APN and don't worry about having to fix a poor quality part. Why anyone would buy something that they know to be junk and immediately have to fix it is beyond me.

If I could go back and do it again I'd look at the Banks setup. I have a set of Borla ones now that I am less than impressed with the quality of.

Why the thumbs down on the Borla? It appears to be a nice setup, the primary's seem to be longer and I like the fact it has the down pipe. I would of rather went with the Borla setup but the cost is outrageous.

I went with the APN when I did mine, its inexpensive and went on an XJ not a million dollar race car.

Back