• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header help.

Also, anyone know how much extensions throw off the torgue wrench? And which way lower or higher? I assumed low so I increase 1 ft/lb for every extension used

Haven't heard of this but don't think it would change at all w/ extensions. Unless you're dissipating energy somehow, even if it winds up a bit, 100% of the torque should be reaching the fastener. Am I missing something?

Crows feet wrenches are a different story (changes lever arm to the bolt), bolts lubed vs. dry, locking nuts vs. plain nuts, torquing nut side vs. bolt side, all those thing matter, sure... But extensions? Can't wrap my head around how that could change things appreciably.

An extension "shouldn't" change the torque, unless you are pulling at an angle to the socket, because of wobble on the extension. Trying to account for wobble in the connections would be near impossible. Only thing I could think of is to torque a bolt to a given torque without any extension, then torque the same bolt with the extensions and document the difference.

David Bricker / SYR

I heard from some old timers that extensions do slightly reduce the torque applied to the bolt because of the clearance in the female end where it attaches to the torque wrench and the clearance between the male end and the socket (but wouldn't that be the same for the torque wrench and the socket?) and the fact that the extension itself could twist slightly. The difference was something like 1%. They said American made extensions had less of a difference than "Chinese crap" and said that Mexican beer was just piss from tequila drinkers. I stopped listening after that.

That will affect the amount you have to move to achieve torque, but not the amount of torque to reach spec.

It has literally zero effect.

Getting a torque wrench on the bolts under the header is impossible anyway due to a lack of space, and you end up using a long handle end wrench and estimating those anyway. Right? That's been my experience anyway. Any that you can reach with an extension on a torque wrench are bound to be much closer to spec than those you tightened without a torque wrench at all. So I wouldn't worry at all about an extension affecting precise torque. We're not making fine Swiss watches.

I didn't think extensions mattered either but a friend was helping me and he's and engineer for a car manufacturer. He started started giving verbal diarrhea and explaining how it mattered.

Nimrod is right, it doesn't need to be perfect. After drinking a beer and getting my poop in a group I was able to realize that I'm not building a space ship. Besides I'm just going to need to re-tighten anyway in a couple hundred miles. I was actually able to get a torque wrench on all though.

On another note, the walker down pipe I got was a complete POS. Got what I paid for but I knew I was rolling the dice so I wasn't too let down. Luckily found a OEM one just laying in the yard at my friends trans shop.

I have two different snap on torque gauges (as in they are used to calibrate a torque wrench)at school, I have personally done this experiment. As a few have said, it literally makes zero difference.

Back