• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head gasket, or...?

JBurian

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '94 Cherokee, 4.0L 6 cylinder, and AW-4. It currently has 283,000 miles and until a week ago was running well. Now, it started putting out lots of exhaust smoke (light-colored, smells just like exhaust, not sweet like coolant). Pulled the plugs over the weekend, cylinders 2-6 were beautiful, cylinder one seemed wet, oily. There seems to be a miss until load, and also after it has warmed up, it stutters and surges while under constant throttle, which lessens if I get on the gas. Plugs, distributor, wires, etc, were changed a couple of months ago; coil also. I haven't had a chance to change the fuel filter yet, but will be trying that in the next few days. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Compression test. Pronto.

The compression spec for the 4.0 Jeep is 120-150 psi, with no more than a 30 psi variation between cylinders. Perform the test "dry" on all cylinders. If any are low, add a tablespoon of oil to that cylinder and perform a "wet" test. See if that changes the compression.

Good data = good decisions.

Let us know what you find.

Sounds like a stuck ring or two. Like the man said, do the compression test. If it isn't great, run a can of BG44 through the gas. Heck, I would do it anyway. I run a can every 10k miles in every vehicle I own.

Back