• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HDoffroad unibody stiffener write up (with lots o pics)

The search feature works!!

ok, so whats everyone doing about the bracket on the rear frame rail above where the (stock) rear sway bar would attach to the frame? The possible solution I have is to notch the rear stiffener for the bracket

The search feature works!!

ok, so whats everyone doing about the bracket on the rear frame rail above where the (stock) rear sway bar would attach to the frame? The possible solution I have is to notch the rear stiffener for the bracket
the one for the rear seatbelt bolt? well, that depends on how much you like your passengers :eyes:

any input on how much heating it takes and what kind of scraper to use to remove the undercoating? a link to a scraper on the harborfreight site or something would be cool.
on my last jeep i wirewheeled it off and i really hated it...
i also love the idea of marking where the welds will be and just cleaning the paint off that spot

thanks

I just used a small propane torch and a putty knife. It was not bad at all. Took maybe an hour. I still need to take the paint off though.

the one for the rear seatbelt bolt? well, that depends on how much you like your passengers :eyes:

My daughter, so I like her quite a bit

So does anyone have a right-up on HDoffroad rear stiffeners. I know there's not much too it but I'd at least like to see some pics of them installed.

This was one of my favorite mods! I felt like it made my jeep feel much more significant..haha

4.5 " Flapper Wheels are a man's best friend when this job comes around for burning off the original undercoating and such.

and Logan, definitely do this first, so whoever can make your RockRails with the extra thickness in mind

flapper wheels get plugged up really, really fast on undercoating... I usually hit it with a wire wheel till it's down to the paint and galvanizing and then use a flap wheel.

I had re-undercoated my jeep at least twice (with good, 3M goo), prior to my install and I only used one flapper wheel up burning down the rails to bare metal!! I was using generic, turkish made, wheels.... I started off with wire brushes, but it was such a slow process.... flapper wheels let me do each rail in about 15 minutes, and then i went back with a wire wheel to get in the tight spaces my wheel wouldnt clean out...

How much stitch welding should be done around the perimeter?

I've been wondering the same thing... I was thinking maybe 2" of stitch weld every 6" or so? More? Less?

I realize this is an old thread but it's one of the better ones I've seen on how to install these. Looking forward to getting a set of these ordered next week and installed asap.

I've been wondering the same thing... I was thinking maybe 2" of stitch weld every 6" or so? More? Less?

I realize this is an old thread but it's one of the better ones I've seen on how to install these. Looking forward to getting a set of these ordered next week and installed asap.

I usualy do an inch or so every 5 or 6 inches around the outside.

Back