• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone seen/used this blower before?

actually seems like the best, well thought out S/C I've ever seen for a 4.0. I like how they give you a new manifold solving a lot of packaging problems. Air acts different traveling under pressure than it does being sucked along by a vacuum (actually in both cases it's being pushed by pressure but you get what I'm saying). A forced induction motor is a lot more forgiving of a bad intake design than a N/A engine. IE; A long runner intake is good for low end torque, bad for high performance, but in a turbo setup, it gives you low end, off boost torque, and at high RPM's the compressor is forcing air through the passages negating the long runner drawbacks.

actually seems like the best, well thought out S/C I've ever seen for a 4.0. I like how they give you a new manifold solving a lot of packaging problems. Air acts different traveling under pressure than it does being sucked along by a vacuum (actually in both cases it's being pushed by pressure but you get what I'm saying). A forced induction motor is a lot more forgiving of a bad intake design than a N/A engine. IE; A long runner intake is good for low end torque, bad for high performance, but in a turbo setup, it gives you low end, off boost torque, and at high RPM's the compressor is forcing air through the passages negating the long runner drawbacks.

Quick question, does the air start to plug up in the runners from it's velocity? I know that used to be a problem with the old cross ram twin carb intake Chrysler had out in the early 60's as well as the barrel intakes from the injected Magnum version of their LA small blocks.

Quick question, does the air start to plug up in the runners from it's velocity? I know that used to be a problem with the old cross ram twin carb intake Chrysler had out in the early 60's as well as the barrel intakes from the injected Magnum version of their LA small blocks.

I'm out of my element, here, but it seems to me that would be a intake-by-intake sort of question and not a general: just as those two NA cars might have had issues but NA in general works for most cars, I'd think that increasing the flow pressure still leaves all sorts of possibilities about overall flow. Make sense?

=============================================
does the air start to plug up in the runners from it's velocity?
=============================================
AS WHEN:
All manifolds generate some tunnel ram effect and inverted ram effect as well. The inverted ram happens when.
1: The intake value closes and the incoming ram effect that built up during intake charge hits the back of the value. Pressure then builds in the value pocket until the ram effect die off. At witch point said pressure flows back up the runner.

2: The intake value may not close for sometime AFTER the piston starts backup on the compresion stroke. A small amount of charge can be pushed back up it's intake runners before the value closes. There by generating a inverted pulse.

Witch one of the two is first and or greater depends on the.
1: Cam profile
2: The intake manifold itself.
3. The RPMs the engine is operating in.

These are the bigges but others can come into play.

This inverted pulse is often called damming. When said pulse is still trailing up the intake runner and same intake value open for the next intake cycle. With the piston trying to pull air into the runner. The two oppose each other or dam.
Damming is really ANY reason an intake, head or header is not passing an amount of charge normally expected of it.

The cross ram of the 60s with it's VERY small and long runners was built for very low torque rpms or low rpm tuned and was particularly bad to dam. When used well above it's RPM range. The small runner also just didn't like passing very large amounts of mix needed for high rpms.
Sorry I did go on.

Last edited:
Back