• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

has anyone heard if GM,is to buy jeep side of chrysler ?

Man, growing up a GM Fan, thats a good thing for me. So if that happens do all you guys have to convert to being GM fans?

i would love to see that happen, maybe gm would take jeep out of this soccer mom trail they seem to be going down.:roll:

I have heard a bit about this, supposidly they want to buy up Chrysler and as many domestics as they can because they feel they cannot compete with the foreign companys like Toyota alone. And ford has said in a press release at the time this GM new came out that if poeple do not start buying domestics again they will fold within two years.

twisted_ed said:
if poeple do not start buying domestics again they will fold within two years.

that rumor has been circulating for decades, it's only as true as the executives at the big three will allow it to be, that's why they've become competitive with the imports (remember the song: i wish a ford and a chevy, would still last 10 years like they should)?

maine96xj said:
i would love to see that happen, maybe gm would take jeep out of this soccer mom trail they seem to be going down.:roll:

Doubt it... My concern is the conflict with Hummer, or does GM merge the jeep and Hummer models into one line?

I saw a recent article naming alot of investors looking to buy, none of which were GM.

fordtech said:
Doubt it... My concern is the conflict with Hummer, or does GM merge the jeep and Hummer models into one line?

I saw a recent article naming alot of investors looking to buy, none of which were GM.

Who want's a Jummer? Or maybe a Hump?

Naw..

There are several companies looking to purchase Chrysler group from DCX. Canadian auto parts manufacturer Magna International is in advanced talks with DCX and looks to be the frontrunner in the negotiations.

General Motors is also looking into purchasing the Chrysler group which includes the Dodge and Jeep brand names.

Billionare Kirk Kerkorian's company Tracinda has offered $4.5 Billion to purchase the automaker from DCX and is pursuing exclusive rights to negotiation for the company.

I have heard that there are issues with retirement funds and labor negotiations which are slowing the negotiations down. Something like $16B in retirement funds that need to be bought out by whichever company purchases Chrysler group.

But yes, the Chrysler group is up for sale separate from Diamler.

Later,
Joe

Chrysler is going to be sold, sans the Jeep brand.

Jeep is not for sale. It will stay and Chrysler will go.

Germans are being tricky to try to get the best deal from the UAW....

"By putting Chrysler in play, Zetsche bought himself some time to try to fix the struggling Chrysler. And his surprise announcement managed to deflect pressure onto the United Auto Workers union, which has been none too cooperative with Chrysler in recent months. The union has refused to give Chrysler the same health care concessions it gave General Motors and Ford Motor for instance, because of the deep pockets of its German parent company. With bargaining on a new national contract set to begin later this year, Zetsche's message to the UAW was clear: Accept new terms, or Chrysler could be sold."
http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/02/14/chrysler-for-sale-biz-cz_jm_0214chrysler.html
"Indeed, an alliance or partnership, rather than an outright sale, might be what Zetsche has in mind for Chrysler. The company, he said, is "looking into further strategic options with partners" that would accelerate Chrysler's recovery."

Crash_AF said:
Canadian auto parts manufacturer Magna International is in advanced talks with DCX and looks to be the frontrunner in the negotiations.

Hell Yah.... Jeep and Canada is like peanut butter and Jam, like tim and Hortons. :)

twisted_ed said:
Hell Yah.... Jeep and Canada is like peanut butter and Jam, like tim and Hortons. :)
Magna is already in the process of taking full control over New Venture/New Process Gear in Syracuse.... they seem to like taking over things DMC wants to offload. This would help them get one of their goals of actually making cars (atleast thats what they were saying a while ago).

Edit:
Here is Magna's most recent press release: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=86334&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=984606&highlight=

Last edited:
Back