• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hardest Fix On Your XJ?

Sawzall does wonders for cutting chit like dead bolts with rigamortis off!!!

I spend hours screwing with trying to remove an engine mount bolt once, and Ford Taurus sway bar bolt that refused to come off properly. Took about 2 minutes with the Sawzall!!

Sawzall made it like cutting a slice of bread or cheese!!!!:sunshine:

Hardest = Getting the 30mm axle nut off. I had broken 1 Craftsman and 1 Wright 1/2" breaker bars. Then I got a 3/4" Wright, still would not break loose. I had to get a 6' iron pipe, I then took and positioned it so it was pointing straight up. I had the pipe pushed all the way down to the door handle and cracked the mirror before it broke loose. I bet I had well over 1000lbs of force on it before it went.
Time = Replacing floor in my first XJ, probably would have went faster if I would have bought replacement floor panels but I decided to form my own stainless floor. OMG that was the worst idea I have ever had.

I actually bent a 3/4" lug nut cross tool using a 5 foot, 2" cheater pipe trying to remove a lug nut Walmart overtightened once!

In many cases I think the hardest fix is doing it for the first time, and doing in the cold, rainy dark!!!!

The hardest thing I've done was only difficult once. Swapping the front axle the upper control arm bolts(torx head) were so tight it broke the torx bit. The only thing we had to get the bolts off with was a dull hack saw. It took a very long time to cut through the bolts this way. I've done a few axle swaps and this was the only time this happened.
get an angle grinder. They are way more awesome. I'm trying to think of analogies but most of them aren't PG enough for this family site.

Sawzall does wonders for cutting chit like dead bolts with rigamortis off!!!

I spend hours screwing with trying to remove an engine mount bolt once, and Ford Taurus sway bar bolt that refused to come off properly. Took about 2 minutes with the Sawzall!!

Sawzall made it like cutting a slice of bread or cheese!!!!:sunshine:
I never go into a repair without my angle grinder and dremel within arms reach now. Dremel for shit that is real tough to get near, angle grinder for when I can just wildly chop at something till it isn't a problem anymore. There is nothing more awesome than replacing a front XJ shock by splitting the stem nut in half using a dremel on both sides, and an angle grinder to cut the bolts on the bottom in half. So much easier and faster than taking the old one out with wrenches...

Rear main seal on my 91', damn top peice won't come out.
Hard to get to, working upside down, greasy as heck! No room to drink a beer under there either!

I havent done too many repairs on my 98 XJ yet but the ones i have done pretty much seem to suck. My brakes gave out going down a hill in the middle of the night. assumed it was the master cylinder cause there was no fluid leaking anywhere and everything else seemed. replaced the MC and front pads and rotors and bled the brakes. nothing. Pulled the back tires off to see if the pads needed to be adjusted and when i pulled the drum off the pads, springs and everything just fell out. Turned out they never worked to begin with. (good thing the fronts worked so well). started replacing everything cause the wheel cylinder was bad and actually was leaking. removing that broke both the rear lines and had to replace. took me 12 hours on the side of my street. i live on a cultisac, In the pouring rain with a small pop up canopy.

Next was my upstream 02 sensor. check engine light was coming on and off. I sprayed the damn thing down with PB blaster for 2 weeks straight and could not get it off. had others try to get it off and couldnt it was just seized on there. mind you i have the 02 sockets and breaker bars and whatnot. I had to lay on my back with a oxi torch and heat the damn thing up till it was starting to melt along with my vise grip i was yanking on it with and my sweatshirt. still took an hour and when it finely came out the threads where screwed up and crossthreaded so i had to re thread the exhaust to put my new one in. took about 4 hours

Electrical gremlin #1 Rear window wiper and defroster that didn't work. The light showed up on the switch but neither worked. I traced it to some sliced wires in the wiring harness inside the drivers side rear wheel well. The harness had been resting on a sharp piece of sheet metal and sliced through half of the 12 or so wires in the harness. Pulled the harness apart and soldered all the cut wires back together. Everything works now except the intermittent feature on the wiper, still cant figure that one out.

Electrical gremlin #2 Jeep would randomly black out. I would walk up to it, unlock it with the keyless entry and everything is fine. Open the door, lights come on inside, shut the door, put the key in the ignition and turn, nothing. Just black. As if the battery went from fully charged to completely dead in 1 second. Sit there for a minute, turn it off/on/off/on for a while, randomly it would start. Drive it down the road, think everything is fine, at 55mph it would go black. No power anything, no brakes, pray I could steer it to the side of the road, don't turn the key off and lock the steering column. This happened a few times over the period of a few weeks last winter in Wisconsin well after sunset when it was cold as a witches teet outside. Call someone to jump it, that would take multiple tries before it would actually start. Limp it home, brake torquing the whole way in first gear because it would die if the rev's dropped below 1000rpm. Replace battery, CPS, NSS nothing. Test alternator, fine, test starter, fine. Search NAXJA, turns out all I needed to do was clean the grounds in the engine bay. Holy shit I wish I knew how sensitive the grounds were when I first had this problem. BTW, the grounds are different for different year XJs and they aren't all easy to see/find but you can find where they are if you search. This might be the best preventive maintenance you can do. CLEAN YOUR GROUNDS!!!

Electrical gremlin #3 Random window switch problems. So about the same time I had the rear wiper/defroster problem I had a radio/passenger front and rear window problem. Randomly I would push the passenger front window down button and the radio would shut off and the passenger REAR window would go down. The rear window would go partially down and stop working. The window would proceed to NOT go back up! Luckily this only happened on dry, relatively warm days. All the while the front passenger window switches would work only when they wanted to. In an effort to alleviate this I replaced the drivers door "master" window switch, passenger door window switch, remove and re-install the stereo including rewire all 4 speakers with after market speakers and wiring. Coat everything liberally in dielectric grease and to no avail the gremlin is still there. To this day I can be driving along and watch the light go off and on in the passenger front window switch. If it comes on I try to push the switch either on the drivers master switch or the passenger front door but nothing happens except the light turns off, the window does not move. At least my radio doesn't shut off and the rear passenger window doesn't stick. I still haven't figured this one out.

There is NOTHING that trumps electrical gremlins.

Last edited:
get an angle grinder. They are way more awesome. I'm trying to think of analogies but most of them aren't PG enough for this family site.

I never go into a repair without my angle grinder and dremel within arms reach now. Dremel for shit that is real tough to get near, angle grinder for when I can just wildly chop at something till it isn't a problem anymore. There is nothing more awesome than replacing a front XJ shock by splitting the stem nut in half using a dremel on both sides, and an angle grinder to cut the bolts on the bottom in half. So much easier and faster than taking the old one out with wrenches...

Never been one to attack things with an angle grinder. Give my an oxy-acetlyene torch anyday... I won't work on a car without one anymore.

Never been one to attack things with an angle grinder. Give my an oxy-acetlyene torch anyday... I won't work on a car without one anymore.

The first time I cut with a torch I said "Why the F*** am I not using this for everything in my life?"

You can cut metal so much easier,
you can get bolts loose like magic,
you can heat other stuff up much faster,
you can cut more stuff,
you can weld with it when your too poor to buy a Mig,
you can cut the axles out of an abondoned tj in the woods in 15min.
you can make balloons,
you can catch your jeep on fire,
you can scare your mom by bringing it in the house,
you can heat up body panels to get dents out when you don't care about the paint
and more

Hardest = Getting the 30mm axle nut off. I had broken 1 Craftsman and 1 Wright 1/2" breaker bars. Then I got a 3/4" Wright, still would not break loose. I had to get a 6' iron pipe, I then took and positioned it so it was pointing straight up. I had the pipe pushed all the way down to the door handle and cracked the mirror before it broke loose. I bet I had well over 1000lbs of force on it before it went.
Time = Replacing floor in my first XJ, probably would have went faster if I would have bought replacement floor panels but I decided to form my own stainless floor. OMG that was the worst idea I have ever had.

good point. Those nuts really do suck. I had one on my 98 XJ break a Husky 1/2" extension, it just sheared right off. First one I'd ever broken. I was hauling on a 3 foot cheater bar on the breaker bar though, so can't really blame it.

I made good use of a propane torch for a few minutes, then applied aerokroil to quench it, then torched it again, and it popped off with just the breaker bar.

edit: the impact also wouldn't even budge it before I used heat.
weld a big booger with high heat low wire speed on the face of the nut to heat it up, hit it real hard with a hammer, and it comes right off.

I'm gunna have to say the wheel nut... I have taken them off three jeeps... my 88 xj wasn't so bad. my brothers 87 xj ended up getting cut off with an o.a. torch since we were replacing the axle shaft anyway... and then the 96 grand... broke a 1/2 drive ratchet, 2 1/2 extensions and a breaker bar.... took a torch a pipe an impact and a whole lot of swear words to finally get it.... that one took longer than both of the xj's combined.... booo zj!

Hardest thing I've found is, believe it or not, the damn valve cover!!! My '95 4.0L has leaked from the rear of the valve cover since I have had it. Tried new gaskets, a post-update valve cover, sikaflex instead of a gasket... Still can't stop the damned thing from leaking!!! Maybe one day I'll work it out!

I gotta say the most aggravating thing I've done was replace the evaporator case that houses the heater core. Had to tear the whole dash apart just because of the broken drainage pipe that was "supposed" to go through the firewall. Not my floorboard! Wasn't that difficult, but damn did it have me pissed off.

I have gotten the CPS swap down to 5-10 minutes on the 89, 2wd, just using woblers and 3ft of extensions with a ratchet from the rear side of the Transmission cross plate support. Maybe the 4x4 is harder?

CPS on my '99 also took about 10 minutes. Not sure what the difference is with other year XJs. Sensor bolts are very accessible from the rear of the driver's front tire with a couple extensions and a universal joint on the socket.

Back