• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard start / No Start

Tim,

This doesn't sound quite like the problem I had. When the cam pos sensor siezed and slipped on my 2000xj, the timing was hosed and it would barely idle. It had nothing to do with the crank pos sensor at all. (only the distributorless igntions have a cam pos sensor in place of the distributor).

I've heard of problems that sound more like yours when the fuel pump check valve leaks back. My brother's XJ had this problem for a long time before the fuel pump finally went. I almost forgot, try to turn the key on, wait until the fuel pump primes, then crank the motor. Even try to cycle the key once before cranking. This should build the fuel pressure back up before cranking. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, there is a 'leakdown' procedure to determine if the checkvalve is bad.

With a 99, you have a regular distributor, right? You could do a simple timing check with a timing light to rule out the distributor siezing or slipping.

Good luck!

I just finished doing an engine swap on a 2000 xj. I didnt take note of exactly how the oil pump drive came out, i just unbolted it and pulled it out.

I went to go reinstall it and it doesnt even fire. It just cranks and it will back fire. When i installed it, i made sure it was at TDC and the sensor was pointing directly to the back of engine, parallel with the valve cover. I didnt take the sensor off at all. Any suggestions?

When you drop a distributor into an engine at TDC on compression stroke of cyl #1, you need to know that the rotor is going to point to the #1 cyl terminal on the cap (accounting for the slight rotation as the beveled gears mesh).

Take the sensor off the drive and you will see a "half-moon". This is what the sensor is looking for, the book calls it a 'pulse ring'. If it's orientation is incorrect, it's similar to the rotor pointing to the wrong cylinder on a distributor. There's a little hole in the ring and a hole in the driveshaft housing. put a toothpick or something through both before dropping the shaft into the block. This ensures the pulse ring is in the right location when the engine is at #1 compression TDC.

Good luck!

this is the exact problem im having. so im bumping this thread.

i suppose i need to adjust the position of the "camshaft synchronizer" or "oil pump drive". im getting it to run for a short time, but then dies. some belt squeeling, rough idle, and all the other symptoms listed in this thread.

camshaft position sensor and synchronizer are both new. still getting P1391, P0351, P0352, and P0353.

ill see what adjusting the position of the synchronizer does. so the CPS should be parallel to the block?

Roughly parallel. It has to be timed by the dealer using a special scan tool, but will run pretty well adjusting by ear. When Cyl #1 is at TDC of the compression stroke, you should be able to put a toothpick in the holes in both the housing to the pulse ring. That's when you know it's in the right place.

Back