• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gun Control Poll

I don't think I have seen an army guy wearing anything other than fatigues or PT gear in a long time. They never wear a service uniform anymore it seems.

Side note- for the groundbreaking ceremony for the new Air FOrce Nav school in Pensacola, the Honor Guard was wearing ABU's with Ascotts and white gloves, WTF?

I bet the starched and pressed the shit out of those ABUs too....dumbasses...

my #1 pet peeve about any utility uniform is when idiots starch and press them....

I bet the starched and pressed the shit out of those ABUs too....dumbasses...

my #1 pet peeve about any utility uniform is when idiots starch and press them....
So true!

So I hear the AF is coming out with a new blues coat? Again? Did they bring the airline pilot look back? :D I heard this latest one is actually not too bad, but I haven't seen it.

Out of all of the services, I always thought the Marines knew what they were doing when it came to uniforms.

I always preferred the 'old' navy uniforms, 13 button pants and pull over jumpers for up to E6 then jackets and ties for E7 and above with the same base uniform for officers. Made sense, enlisted up to E6 don't have room to hang a jacket and dress pants, chiefs and above do. The old dress blues you just turned inside out, folded, rolled em up and put them away. Three months later you unrolled, flipped em rightside out and they looked like they just came from the cleaner [provided you had cleaned the puke off from the last liberty call :D ]
Then we went to suits, the one time we took them on a patrol we ended up hanging them in lower level missile with the potatoes. We used to have to eat our way to the exercise equipment down there, thats where most of the food was kept :D
Then we had our version of Pajamas too, we'd wear them in port, rest of the patrol it was cutoff's, sweat shirts and sneakers.
As far as the BDU and ACU's, when they came out they made a big thing about not starching them, in fact the base laundrys would NOT starch them till the first O7 and above remf staff pukes started doing it and you drew negative comments from higher for being in a sloppy uniform.
Oh well, gotta head out to work.

So true!

So I hear the AF is coming out with a new blues coat? Again? Did they bring the airline pilot look back? :D I heard this latest one is actually not too bad, but I haven't seen it.

Out of all of the services, I always thought the Marines knew what they were doing when it came to uniforms.

It is our "Heritage Coat" - I haven't seen it up close to make any decisions on it, but it kinda reminds me of the service coat the Marines wore in "A Few Good Men" (sorry, was watching that movie yesterday and it is the best reference I have right now).

Our blues suck....:D

When the )analog) cammies first came out they weren't supposed to be starched, even said so on the tag, but the Marines liked to be sharp, and eventually it became law to starch your cammies. Now with the digis it's the same deal, don't starch em. I say give em 5-10 more yrs and they'll all be starching them again. :D

When the )analog) cammies first came out they weren't supposed to be starched, even said so on the tag, but the Marines liked to be sharp, and eventually it became law to starch your cammies. Now with the digis it's the same deal, don't starch em. I say give em 5-10 more yrs and they'll all be starching them again. :D

The reason they don't want them starched is it damages the IR characteristics of the material. When the first sets of BDU's came out you could not wear them in the sun, they absorbed heat worse than a congressmen stealing money thru taxes.

The reason they don't want them starched is it damages the IR characteristics of the material. When the first sets of BDU's came out you could not wear them in the sun, they absorbed heat worse than a congressmen stealing money thru taxes.

You know what I used to hear was that the starch would ruin the radar scatterability of the material. It effects the IR because it makes the uniform glow if looking at them through NVGs with the IR light on.
It all sounds like a load of garbage to me.

I've seen a few ACUs ironed and starched but not many. I think people pretty much have the idea that, its point less. These ACUs do wear out pretty quickly. After a year of heat and sand they're done.

You know what I used to hear was that the starch would ruin the radar scatterability of the material. It effects the IR because it makes the uniform glow if looking at them through NVGs with the IR light on.
It all sounds like a load of garbage to me.

I've seen a few ACUs ironed and starched but not many. I think people pretty much have the idea that, its point less. These ACUs do wear out pretty quickly. After a year of heat and sand they're done.
Ever tried it? Starched or Scotch Guarded clothing does in fact make you more visible to NVGs; it was proven to me in the field. Similar reasoning for not ironing/pressing them; visibility. The loose/rumply uniform has softer edges than an ironed one. Softer edges help you blend in with the background/surrounding terrain/vegetation. Ironing and starching the uniform helps to negate the point of 'camouflage.'

Sorry I guess I missed typed, what I was trying to get across.

Yea I've seen the BDUs starched up through NVGs, it was like having cat eye tape all over the uniform.

Sharp edges, hmmmm never thought of that, but that does sound good.

Limbo between a Captain(Colonel in other services) and an Admiral. I've only actually met two of them.

Yea, it is more of a 'token' promotion for those who are 'not quite' connected enough for that appointment to admiral. You get promoted to commodore and thats a show stopper for promotion for sure.

Sharp edges, hmmmm never thought of that, but that does sound good.

There are very few 90* corners and straight lines that naturally occur in nature. Fractal theory, but that's a different subject altogether. I'm a geek.

Back