• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grrr..renix egr tube/header problem

Root Moose said:
I'm missing something...

Why can't you heat it up and bend it into position?

in a perfect world that would be great....we actually did heat it and bend it, but w/o a good 5/8" bender, it just f***ed it up. a 170,000 mile tube up here in ohio can only withstand so much.

still no luck w/ the dam tube, were gonna order new tubing and bend our own and use the old fittings.

XJawgi said:
still no luck w/ the dam tube, were gonna order new tubing and bend our own and use the old fittings.

Here's an idea, order some braided hose from Earl's for some bling effect.

not sure if you fixed this yet, but can you just cut the center section of that tubing, get some good high-temp 5/8" hose and clamps and use that and be done w/it.

I had the same problem when replacing headers on my old '94 5.0 Mustang GT long time back... and the fix held up for many miles before being totaled... :)

Redsnake said:
not sure if you fixed this yet, but can you just cut the center section of that tubing, get some good high-temp 5/8" hose and clamps and use that and be done w/it.

I had the same problem when replacing headers on my old '94 5.0 Mustang GT long time back... and the fix held up for many miles before being totaled... :)

yea i appreciate the suggestion...i have 6 ft of 5/8 tubing coming in tomorrow from my dads work. so we will bend a new tube.

i came into a new problem, the fitting that goes into the header bottoms out and the tube becomes loose. the fitting on the header is to deep.

I called pacesetter today...and i talked to a CS rep about the inconviencence this header has been. i also asked him if hes had this problem and he didnt say much he just let me babble on...his response was that weve been making this tube for a number of years and the egr tube fit on the first design...and i asked him why dont you change the design, move it over 5/8 of an inch, that way you dont have to have your customers f'ing around w/ this.

he didnt say anything.

Or issue a flexible EGR tube alongside the header. They've got flexible exhaust pipe - had it for years.

I find the EGR of limited utility on the AMC 242 - I actually ran cleaner WITHOUT it in my 87 - but they failed me anyhow (non-functional smog control device.)

Huh? It shouldn't matter HOW it passes, just so it passes, no?

5-90

5-90 said:
Or issue a flexible EGR tube alongside the header. They've got flexible exhaust pipe - had it for years.

I find the EGR of limited utility on the AMC 242 - I actually ran cleaner WITHOUT it in my 87 - but they failed me anyhow (non-functional smog control device.)

Huh? It shouldn't matter HOW it passes, just so it passes, no?

5-90

yea thats the way i see it too..

I had the exact same issues when I put the Pacesetter header on. To fix the fitting bottoming out I just ground down the top of the fitting on the header. To fix the tube I shortened it by cutting a section out of it so that the two ends met up when installed then welded it back together like someone already mentioned above, except that I MIGed it rather than torch welding. I would have probably just plugged it off If I could have gotten away with it. But, California is a bit picky about smog equipment.

I was able to make the O2 sensor work without extending the wires. I just disassembled the harness to seperate the O2 wiring from the fuel injection wires so that it now "Y"s at about the firewall. Everthing is re-wrapped with the O2 wires going to the right side of the engine and everything else continuing on forward like it always was.

I also had other issues with the Pacesetter install, if I had know it was going to fit as poorly as it did I would not have bought it. I put it on in an attempt to cure my manifold cracking problem, but; after been on about a year and a half it now sounds like the header has cracked as well. I just haven't taken the time to find the source of my exhaust leak. If it is cracked I will be looking into another brand of header.

I put a header on a 86 2.3 ranger that the tube wouldn't line up on it either. I went to the local heavy equipment parts supplier and got some high heat turbo hose to complete the connection after cutting the tube a ways from the header. The tube I used was made out of high heat silicon rubber.

Back