• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Wagoneer axles into MY XJ

i have seen slightly bound up hp30's grenade when put in reverse.
my simple solution to this problem: hammer on it hard enough going forward that I don't need to touch reverse

works unless I am in front of a crowd.

An even better picture: D30 on top, D44 middle, D60 bottom

DSC_3060.jpg

I knew someone had a pic of that, just couldn't remember who.

The Grand Waggys with the vacuum switch had the selec-trac option, and had the NP228-229 transfer case. The transfer case allowed for full time 4wd operation when the vac switch was tripped. The models did not have a front axle disco. I had an 87 Grand wagoneer just like that... no disco on the front dana 44, I also have an 86 XJ waggy parts vehicle with this option that has no disco on its dana 30. Just FYI!

WHAT? an 86 with out a disco 30?? can someone explain this?

98XJLongbuild, It doesn't sound or should I say look like you did any research.
As stated before me doing a search will give you the answer to your questions.
Yes, ARBs, gears, diff covers, upper and lower brackets, this that and the other thing are all availible for these axles.
As for a vaccum disco, I wouldn't use it! It is just another weak link in my opinion.
I also wouldn't hack up a good running full size.(though you didn't say if it was running.)
I run 44 front and rear under my XJ with 4.88s, lockers, alloys a 3link front and 4 link rear.
Anything can be done. Mine is about middle of the road. There are tons of rigs bigger badder and better than mine out there.
I did about a true year of research before buying a single part for mine.
Read a lot then ask if you don't find the answer.
I would love to see pics of both your XJ and the Waggy and the progress.
Good luck,
Stukboy

PS: I'm not bustin balls just my observation. No offense I hope!

there is the argument that a low pinion in front is being driven on the coast side of the gears.

but in the real world its a pretty moot point.

x2

Not to mention the increased strength of the center-section, tubes, axles, and knuckles.

A low pinion is not as strong as high pinion, sure.

A HP 30 is as strong as a LP 44, no way.

I think that's just something people would like to believe after they've dumped tons of money on a 30.

x2

Not to mention the increased strength of the center-section, tubes, axles, and knuckles.

I think that's just something people would like to believe after they've dumped tons of money on a 30.

Like me... that's what I'd like to believe. But I know better and that's why theres a 44 on Jackstand in the shop getting built to go in the front...

x2

dont let him fool you he has a polished turd as well..... and hes dumb.

To those running waggy axles...out of curiousity how are the brakes compared to stock xj brakes (im hoping for better braking if i do this swap)? I can pick up a set of waggy 44s for $100. They are from an 86 and the front has warn lockouts. Not sure if its vac disco though. Even if i dont have the money to put them under the xj right now its hard to come across a deal like this around here. This will allow me to lock/gear/tinker with them and still be able to drive the xj.

To those running waggy axles...out of curiousity how are the brakes compared to stock xj brakes (im hoping for better braking if i do this swap)? I can pick up a set of waggy 44s for $100. They are from an 86 and the front has warn lockouts. Not sure if its vac disco though. Even if i dont have the money to put them under the xj right now its hard to come across a deal like this around here. This will allow me to lock/gear/tinker with them and still be able to drive the xj.

Slightly larger brakes, another added benefits are no more unit bearings.

That makes it even more worth while to me plus a rear disc conversion doesnt look too hard. Looks like ill be selling some stuff if these axles that i wanna look at turn out to be what the guy says. Ive got rockcrusher diff covers for the 30 and 8.25, ORO u-turn, and some other ding dongs that should get this going. Thanks for the help.

To those running waggy axles...out of curiousity how are the brakes compared to stock xj brakes (im hoping for better braking if i do this swap)

my brakes with 35's and 37's and single piston chevy half ton calipers in front and small (car) chevy calipers in rear stops better than stock xj brakes (dualk diaphragm) on stock tires

98XJLongbuild, It doesn't sound or should I say look like you did any research.
As stated before me doing a search will give you the answer to your questions.
Yes, ARBs, gears, diff covers, upper and lower brackets, this that and the other thing are all availible for these axles.
As for a vaccum disco, I wouldn't use it! It is just another weak link in my opinion.
I also wouldn't hack up a good running full size.(though you didn't say if it was running.)
I run 44 front and rear under my XJ with 4.88s, lockers, alloys a 3link front and 4 link rear.
Anything can be done. Mine is about middle of the road. There are tons of rigs bigger badder and better than mine out there.
I did about a true year of research before buying a single part for mine.
Read a lot then ask if you don't find the answer.
I would love to see pics of both your XJ and the Waggy and the progress.
Good luck,
Stukboy

PS: I'm not bustin balls just my observation. No offense I hope!

I have done research but the problem is that I've never looked nor touched any type of differential. Its about the only thing I haven't been able to work with. When I search for this type of stuff I get completly lost in that there is so much info out there, but i'm just in an endless puddle sinking.

And for the pics my laptop took a dumb on me and thats the only way to post pics.

Thanks

Okay now its official. I went ahead and took off the rear diff. cover and low and behold the D35 is *ucked. The bolt that holds the pinion shaft from twisting and falling out sheard off god nows how long ago. So now Iv'e got the pinion shaft twisting and moving up and down in the carrier shaft holes. And to say the lease the carrier holes are egged out pretty goods as well as the pinion shaft ends are rounded of all the way around.

So with that being said I've got a couple of choices, and brand new or fully build 44's are out of the question for know, get a new carrier and pinion shaft and install that. Or get a used rebuilt axle, my friend got one for his dodge and he says he only paid 300 bucks, that comes with completly new inners.

Also I've herd of welding in a nut and just making the rear fully locked all thing time. Is this possible with out buying any new parts? Or would I still need a new carrier.

The worst part about it is that I've got my club run this Sunday, and im still going. Hopefully it won't blow up on me. The good news is that the C-clips "LOOK" okay. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

You probably boogered up your pinion when that cross shaft slid out... check the teeth, I bet they're all trashed. This happens pretty frequently on dana 30s and apparently d35s too.

Taking it out on the trails is a recipe for disaster. You should hit the socal forum classifieds and ask if anyone has a d35 hanging around they will part with for short money, it'll get you rolling again for the weekend, in the meantime start looking for better axles (waggy axles, a 29 spline 8.25 rearend, etc etc.)

You can probably find a dana 35 with 3.55s or 3.07s for anywhere from free to 50 bucks on the classifieds here, most people hate em so they are worth approximately scrap value unless someone dumped money into one regearing/locking it and is now in denial / trying to recoup their "investment".

Taking it out on the trails is a recipe for disaster. You should hit the socal forum classifieds and ask if anyone has a d35 hanging around they will part with for short money, it'll get you rolling again for the weekend, in the meantime start looking for better axles (waggy axles, a 29 spline 8.25 rearend, etc etc.

Agreed!!!

I have a stock 8.25 out of a 92 with 3.55s. It can be yours for $50.
The issue according to many on here is it is 27 spline. Most prefer 29 spline.
Anyway, I'm in PA if you want it.
If you pick up the 44s they most likely have 3.31 gears. The rear would involve cutting off the existing perches and welding on new ones about 1/2" to 1" inward so the centering pins on your springs will line up.
The other issue is they are 6 lug not 5 so you would have to carry 2 spares until the front is swapped.
This could be one of the faster ways to get you out on the trail again if your going to run the 44s.
Not a solution by any means just a possibe temp fix for wheeling.
What ever you do, DO NOT drive it on the road in 4wd.
I probably wouldn't do it personaly but I know a couple people that did similar for a very short time and didn't have issue.

Or you could come to PA and get my 8.25 for $50 plus your gas and bolt it right in and go wheeling that day.
Good luck,
Stukboy

After even more searching and searching I came along this and on the first page near the bottom it lists all of the websites and froum pages that were used to find parts and useful tips on building up a 44.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=993467

This, to me is alot more organized and more detailed than any other site that I've found

With lock outs is it really necessary to cut and rotate the C's on 3.5/4.5" of lift? How off will the pinion angle be?

Thanks for those links 98XJLongBuild, i bookmarked them both. Picking up the waggy 44s friday. Its too bad I dont have the money to build them up right now though. Im probably only gonna OX lock the rear since at the moment due to $$ flow, then upgrade the front shafts and lock it once i go with 35s. I need 4.88s, and I dont wanna do it twice on two sets of axles. This way I will be able to get them under the jeep ASAP.

Last edited:
Back