• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Canyon Railway steam engine PICS & VID

No train horn, but I've got a two-tone fire truck air horn. It's plenty loud!

For a train horn, I have no idea, but you can pick up firetruck/tractor trailer air horns easily by going to any junkyard that has some fire trucks or old semi trucks, assuming no one else has taken the horn yet. My VIAIR compressor won't keep up with the air horn constantly, but I can use it a couple dozen times on a 2.5 gallon tank pressurized to 120psi before it drops to 85psi and the compressor kicks in.

Wow. Thats crazy. If I take out the back seat think I could make it work? Rear engine Xj? :huh:
:roflmao: I think it might grenade your aw4.

I coughed up the money at AAA for the Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel package two summers ago, and though it was a bit hokey/touristy it was cool & a lot of fun... even the kids (then 12, 14, and 16) enjoyed it.

itbrokeagain: I think I'm going to call up jason at RC on april fools day and ask if they make 4 inch lift springs for a General Electric SW9.

itbrokeagain - it looks like the idea is a non starter... I haven't the first clue of how to find out who actually owns the thing, and it's looking like while the diesel engine itself is in excellent shape (no rust on the piston skirts I could see through the exhaust ports, only very minor orange spot surface rust on the roller cams etc) the electronics are in miserable shape. I'd have to find somewhere to park the darn thing, too :D

Basically, unless a lot more people want to get involved, and we can find who actually owns it and either convince them to donate it for restoration purposes or buy it for scrap price, the entire plan is pretty much nonexistent.

I would love to be involved in that. Parking wouldnt be an issue I do have a spot. Not real close to you though. I dont think FedEx would ship that.

Any idea how to find the owners? I see that as the real big hurdle since the rest can be solved at worst with money (though I have almost none to throw around.) Just reading up on the sequence of company breakups, recombinations, and renamings that happened to B&M made my head spin, I have not the first clue of how to figure out the paper trail on where the title (do locomotives have titles) resides now.

EDIT: just found specs on the motor (EMD 567B) - 567ci displacement... per cylinder :scared: with 12 cylinders, that's an awful lot of displacement.

soooooo I think it's about time to revive this idea... I bought a 5/10 ton cargo truck. I think with the right trailer, we could likely move this beast. Not sure how fast, seeing as I am fairly certain it weighs more than 15 tons (my towing capacity.)

Anyone know where to get started on finding out who owns the rights to it?

Back