• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goverment XJ

Yeah im surprised it hasnt exploded yet :laugh3:

I went to a public works auction back during my vehicle search...I was looking at an 87 yj with like 70,000 miles on it-kbb had it at like $2,000 and it went for $4,500. I thought you could get deals at those auctions but i guess when people are determined to win they leave rationality behind. It did have a really sweet lightbar on it though :laugh3:

If it's anything like the old USGS XJ that's parked indefinitely here at UMass then it has full skidplates. That one had a rear tire carrier, but it's gone. Worth 200 bux for parts though!

most GSA cars are very low mileage and well maintained. they have one on online auction in bel-air maryland with minimum rust.. I think that one is aquired by other means (not part of the GSA fleet)

Wierd thing I think I just noticed is that in the gauge cluster, it seems to have the speedo from a model w/o the tach but then the tach is right next to it. I say this because the script on the gauges looks different and the speedo should lie flat in line the with tach when shut off, anyone else see what i'm talking about? thats real wierd if my eyes are correct, its picture 8/14

only thing i can say is to be real careful about what u might be buying. gov auctions can be great finds, but you could also get one helluva lemon that some dude beat the living crap out of.

If that government XJ was driven by any joes, then for sure that thing has been beat to hell and driven hard with little reguard for the vehicle.

*whistles innocently* Us? Drive govvies hard? I resemble-er, uh, resent that remark...

i'm an innocent crewchief....i would know absolutely nothing about beating the crap out of a government vehicle *evil grin* oh wait, maybe i do.......but i'm not telling:D

jayuu said:
dont governments usually run front and rear d44's? i know the mail jeeps around here do.

Even if it had them, I'd be wary of that particular vehicle for anything other than parts.

75000 on the clock in 15 years - that's roughly 5000 miles per year, so it's likely almost never been off-base. The two flat tires plus dust all over everything inside suggest that it's been sitting for a while, so bet on the usual mechanical issues from disuse being present. Manual trans, which suggests hauling gear or pulling trailers, in which case it may have spent a lot of that time in low range. At some point it looks like it had a rear spare carrier, which is now gone.

Can't really tell from the photos, but it may have been de-smogged; good luck getting it road-registered if that is the case. I'd also expect the wiring to be monkeyed with; keeping it going would've been key, not running down to the local dealer for the parts to do so with.

It might be a good deal if you get a $50 D44 (or two) out of it, but otherwise there're probably better ones out there in the papers for a DD / weekend warrior. Mind you, it'd probably be a good bet for a trail-only rig.

Ehh, maybe I'll go look at it this weekend. Heading out that way on Saturday anyway.

casm said:
Even if it had them, I'd be wary of that particular vehicle for anything other than parts.

75000 on the clock in 15 years - that's roughly 5000 miles per year, so it's likely almost never been off-base. The two flat tires plus dust all over everything inside suggest that it's been sitting for a while, so bet on the usual mechanical issues from disuse being present. Manual trans, which suggests hauling gear or pulling trailers, in which case it may have spent a lot of that time in low range. At some point it looks like it had a rear spare carrier, which is now gone.

Can't really tell from the photos, but it may have been de-smogged; good luck getting it road-registered if that is the case. I'd also expect the wiring to be monkeyed with; keeping it going would've been key, not running down to the local dealer for the parts to do so with.

It might be a good deal if you get a $50 D44 (or two) out of it, but otherwise there're probably better ones out there in the papers for a DD / weekend warrior. Mind you, it'd probably be a good bet for a trail-only rig.

Ehh, maybe I'll go look at it this weekend. Heading out that way on Saturday anyway.

sounds like you're trying to discourage him so you can go and swipe it first :spin1:

ladywolf said:
i'm an innocent crewchief....i would know absolutely nothing about beating the crap out of a government vehicle *evil grin* oh wait, maybe i do.......but i'm not telling:D

Crew Chief here too. My additional duty is a VCNCO. These vehicle get the living crap beat out of them. On a good note, they are well maintained. That jeep dosent look military spec though. It sold for $1560.00

91Limited said:
sounds like you're trying to discourage him so you can go and swipe it first :spin1:

Heh, I'd forgotten about this thread.

What amazes me is that it finally went for $1560 at auction. You can get a better one out of the paper for the same money and it'll actually have things like tires with air in them so you can at least move it around. Something about a fool and his money comes to mind...

that is pretty funny that it has a nsn. :D and so does beer:D when i worked near barstow 2 years ago, the mp's were phasing them out for exploders. most of what's out from there is 4.0, aw4, 231, and 8.25. and yeah, it's prolly beat to hell. expect unibody cracking. prolly made a run or two on that old tank trail that doesn't go from ft. irwin to vegas :D serously though, sand and dust there gets inside everything, i wouldn't pick it up if it was free.

Back