• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got my AR almost built...

I finally got my Vortex SPARC (not an "operator" and can't afford $500 optics) and my Huskey Amentum sling mounted. I'll try to get some pics.

EBR thread revived. :D

Snapshot of mine. Added Elzetta mount and Surefire G2, along with a Magcinch for my pair of 20rd Colt mags. They're loaded with 55gr Federal Premium TRU hollowpoints.
i-3n6bfnH-L.jpg

so, it looks like you have that as far forward as possible.

are you comfortable with that amount of eye relief?

and if you removed the 512, the rear fixed sight becomes immediatly usable as a backup?

at work mine is mounted on a quad rail and the eotech is completely on the quad rail. it's that far so there is room for an aimpoint 3x sight, and a flip up rear sight (just in case the batteries run out on the eotech).
everyone on my crew has the same setup as I do, but mine is further forward then anyone elses.
none of us have a problem with the eye relief, but to each their own.

and if you removed the 512, the rear fixed sight becomes immediatly usable as a backup?

If it would even fit back one space you wouldn't be able to operate the buttons. You don't need to remove the glass to use the BUIS unless the it is obstructed.

and if you removed the 512, the rear fixed sight becomes immediately usable as a backup?
Unlike conventional scopes, red dot and HUD sights don't have fixed eye relief. Having them closer to your face allows a larger viewing area inside the scope, but as they are 1X, and you're shooting with both eyes open, that really isn't a factor.

'Not sure about the 512, but with a pro-point, the backup sights are usable through the scope, as long as the glass isn't damaged or covered in mud.

I'm still experimenting with the mounting position, all the smart people say to mount it forward for close quarters stuff and closer to the rear for distance work…too much closer and it will be difficult to operate the buttons on the sight, the Midwest sight can be used with the EOTech installed or removed.

Last edited:
Well, got an EOTEch 512 to put atop my carbine flattop upper, but before it was mounted, i decided to run it on top of my beretta xtreme2 for turkey hunting season!

I have a cool pic to post, will put it up later, but I was able to "bloody" the 512 on a turkey this past week on the 500 acre spot in Miller county missouri.

the design and purpose are apparent.

I was in a tight spot and in a funky prone position at the base of a large tree and behind some thick brush. The bird came from a direction I was not ready for, and was glad for the holographic sight. I had one of the most contorted firing postures I've ever shot from, but the crosshairs were where they needed to be. dead bird. dropped like a dirty shirt.

I have the sight, now proudly having earned credit on a kill, on top of the carbine upper, needing to be sighted in.

pics later.

awesome sight.

I couldn't imagine any other optic on a firearm configured for tactical, or close-quarter action.

turkey.jpg

ppsssssshhhhhhh you .308 guys.

step up to the granddaddy.
DSCF3520.jpg

Btt!!!!

Just got my first m1a garand shipped right to my door along with two cases of greek ball.

CMP btw....

Mine is a late 50's springfield...nothing historically special, but it is a fine piece of american spirit and ingenuity

Gotta love it when tje doorbell rings and the ups man hands you a semiauto rifle and ammo to go alomg with it.

I'll post up when i get a chance

I am going shooting in a few hours actually. I have my AR all ready to go, the mosin nagant with wimpy shoulder pad in place for the first time so I can hopefully shoot more than 20 rounds ha and my trusty 9mm pistol. My friend is bringing his .38 pistol, ak47 and an SKS. This will be the first time the XJ will be loaded down with ammo since I've replaced the old saggy leaf springs so it should be a good test for them also.

I really want an m1 garand next. I want a shooter in good condition, nothing collectable that I would be scared to shoot though.

Btt!!!!

Just got my first m1a garand shipped right to my door along with two cases of greek ball.

CMP btw....

Mine is a late 50's springfield...nothing historically special, but it is a fine piece of american spirit and ingenuity

Gotta love it when tje doorbell rings and the ups man hands you a semiauto rifle and ammo to go alomg with it.

How's the muzzle and throat numbers? our were in the 1.5 range. They're all good shooters.

We're working on 168 gr BTHP loads for ours, right around 46 gr of powder seems to be the sweet spot. IMR something or other. 4865 maybe?

This made it's way home with me last week:

mystery.jpg

Finnish M39. Shot a 4" group with crappy russian surplus and iron sights @ 100 yards. It's capable of better, I was the limiting factor with the iron sights, well that and the 3/16 wide front blade. Just got in some commercial 54R for it, 203 grain bullets. Reasearch shows that's what the Finns used, so hopefully it groups better than the 147 grain Russian stuff.

Last edited:
I really want an m1 garand next. I want a shooter in good condition, nothing collectable that I would be scared to shoot though.

you want a service grade. The rack grades are all beat to crap and mismatched. The service grades are good clean functional rifles. Well worth the $100 more.

Well, the XJ had other ideas and decided to keep us from shooting today. On the way up the mountain roads I started pouring white/blue smoke from behind(not tailpipe). It looks like the transmission was puking fluid from the vent tube momentarily and onto the exhaust but it was enough to stop me in my tracks and then head back home once we checked everything out.

It was a scary moment and made me glad I had the extinguisher within arms reach and not buried in the trunk under all the gear. It sucked because the XJ was performing brilliantly, no sign of any trouble at all. My temperature was right on the 210 line, good oil pressure and no sign of trouble when boom cloud of smoke. The smoke was gone before I could even slow down and pull over but it was clear it was coming from the exhaust where it crosses from one side to the other and it was wet. The bell housing was wet at the very top but not as high as the valve cover. My CPS was covered in fluid also, I am waiting to now check it over but I am pretty certain it is the vent tube.

Time to add the transmission cooler and temperature gauge....

It was also kinda sad, we sat on the side of the road in a very bad spot(uphill on a curve with no real shoulder) for 45 minutes letting things cool down. Not one person stopped to offer help and I saw at least 1 XJ go by :( .

Btt!!!!

CMP btw....

m1a =/ garand
And here's my m1.
e18ed907.jpg

Have a carbine upper with wood forestock as well. Need to post a pic of that fappage for yella and eks

Next ar project.......308

Wood furniture to be sure.

Hello? McFly! :dunno:

Back