• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goodburbon's hydrogen experiment

tbburg--not trying to be negative or discourage experimentation, but I think that given all ofthe losses involved in the engine, that you can't come out ahead by decombining then recombining the same substance. I hear what you're saying about hydrogen injection being an excellent way to enhance ignition characteristics such as efficiency of the burn, but I guess I'm more with the crowd who believes that the way to do this would be to generate off the vehicle using wind, solar, donkey, or whatever. I guess I find it hard to believe that with such poorly efficient machines that you could come out ahead with this. This said, however, I am perfectly willing to sit, watch, listen, and be proven wrong. I'm not a naysayer as much as a skeptic with good reason to be skeptical, i.e. all these background issues with using mechanical energy to produce electricity to perform electrolysis to burn the electrolysis products back to their starting material losing efficiency once again but perhaps gaining efficiency in the burn characteristics. If not impossible, it seems at least like there would be a very steep barrier to likelihood of success.

But I think that I made a very valid point when I stated that the total amount of water being converted is the key to this. It is an absolute certainty that the amount of water being converted to hydrogen and oxygen will need to be accounted for. I would have a very hard time believing that there is not a threshold proportion of hydrogen required in the fuel charge to achieve any enhancement in combustion. If you're converting very little, then you're getting very little hydrogen to modify your burn, and the question is, is this enough. I don't doubt that Goodburton has been generating hydrogen, but unless I'm missing something, the initial data suggest that he is getting worse overall efficiency than he has ever seen with his test vehicle. My first thought to explain this is that my initial assertion that you are creating a net drain on the system was correct. If anything, I think that much more hydrgen needs to be generated per unit time, and then the question is, can the vehicle provide enough current to make this happen. I think that one approach to validate the likelihood of success would be to find out more about the hydrogen injection technology, determine the flow rate of hydrogen required to achieve the enhanced performance, then see what it would take to generate hydrogen at that rate from an on-board generator. I am not a master of engineering, but I think that if there are successful hydrogen injection systems, that they would provide a great model to determine what the flow demand is for the hydrogen, and then to determine what the flow of hydrogen from the current system is.

A fun test of whether H2 is being generated would be to route it into an old style thick coke bottle wrapped with duct tape, and then igniting the mixture (away from the generator of course) to make a nice mini-cannon blast. I don't doubt that H2 is being generated, but it would be a good control to prove it. And just think, if the efficiency enhancement isn't there on this scale of system, you could hook up the H2 to side-mounted potato guns for use on the trail or to punish bad drivers on the road. . .

Ultimately, I applaud Goodburton for taking it upon himself to actually do the experiement rather than just engage in speculation like myself. Like I said, I am skeptical, but perfectly happy to rethink things if the data leads us that way. It's this kind of ingenuity that makes the NAXJA crowd appeal to me. All of us who spend so much time thinking about, maintaining, and modifying our vehicles are a far different class of people than those who always want to leave their dirty work to someone else and then whine when the results aren't what they were expecting.

--wavingpine

As far as testing to see if its working.

Run the hose into a jar of water with a touch of dish soap...............scoop bubbles and light then off!
It makes your own personal fire crackers:shhh:

Flash

I was paging through the other threads on this, and I read about the generation of the electric current using waste exhaust gas heat instead of alternator current. Now that is a very clever idea that would nullify everything I said about getting something for nothing without even considering the enhanced combustion effect. Ecomike appears to have provided plenty of links in the other thread on this, and it appears to be a sound technology that should have little (if heating fins create drag in the exhaust stream and make it harder for the engine to breathe) or no effect on engine load. I'm becoming more intrigued by this as a general concept. One of the articles linked to said that a 10% gain has been realized with the commercial diesel version developed/used in Canada but with a significant reduction in unfriendly pollutants. I continue to wonder if the amount of hydrogen being produced in an alternator driven system will actually be enough to achieve a net gain in performance or gasoline mileage rather than a drain on the system.

Goodburton--any new news or latest mpg values to report with your experiment?

Flash said:
As far as testing to see if its working.

Run the hose into a jar of water with a touch of dish soap...............scoop bubbles and light then off!
It makes your own personal fire crackers:shhh:

Flash
My neighbors almost called the police, thinking I was lighting fireworks, or shooting guns. I jumped the first time wasn't expecting the size of the bang and I was lighting with bic lighter on a table while sitting.:fuse::jester:
With the results I had with 6v @ 2A on 4 -6" 1/8" thick 1"w. 2pos/ 2neg, 1/8" gap, and sodium carbonate.I want to go bigger!!! and try neutral plates

Last edited:
wavingpine11 said:
I was paging through the other threads on this, and I read about the generation of the electric current using waste exhaust gas heat instead of alternator current. Now that is a very clever idea that would nullify everything I said about getting something for nothing without even considering the enhanced combustion effect. Ecomike appears to have provided plenty of links in the other thread on this, and it appears to be a sound technology that should have little (if heating fins create drag in the exhaust stream and make it harder for the engine to breathe) or no effect on engine load. I'm becoming more intrigued by this as a general concept. One of the articles linked to said that a 10% gain has been realized with the commercial diesel version developed/used in Canada but with a significant reduction in unfriendly pollutants. I continue to wonder if the amount of hydrogen being produced in an alternator driven system will actually be enough to achieve a net gain in performance or gasoline mileage rather than a drain on the system.

Goodburton--any new news or latest mpg values to report with your experiment?

Has that ever been done using exhaust to generate the electricity? You could use a exhaust turbo and have it drive a alternator instead of the compressor wheel? Or as well as? No idea if this would be in the least bit better than the parasitical drag the alternator has when driving by a engine by comparison? Let alone the heat management of being so close to the exhaust.

re: exhaust heat electrical generation

if it does not improve mpg to take electricity from the alternator to make hydrogen, then it would be better to take the electricity generated from exhaust heat and simply change the battery with it. This will reduce alternator drag and increase mileage.

If there is excess energy generated then it could be used to turn a small electric motor to reduce gas consumption.

I'll post more results when I fill up again

Of note:

Upon getting such terrible results with my first tank I have pulled the unit, cleaned the plates, plugged a slow leak it had with silicone ( I had to add more mix every morning, I must have not used enough pvc glue), changed my spark plugs, changed my oil and filter, and changed a disintegrating AC/Power steering belt.

The oil leak around the valve cover gasket is apparently pretty bad around the plug holes, as when I pulled the old plugs the plug wrench was covered in oil. Consequently the cylinders got oil in them and the car was a bit unhappy for the first 20 miles after the change.

The gas gauge is going down a bit slower now and was at 130 miles when it crossed the quarter tank mark as opposed to 107 miles last time.

goodburbon said:
..changed my spark plugs, changed my oil and filter, and changed a disintegrating AC/Power steering belt.

The oil leak around the valve cover gasket is apparently pretty bad around the plug holes, as when I pulled the old plugs the plug wrench was covered in oil. Consequently the cylinders got oil in them and the car was a bit unhappy for the first 20 miles after the change.

The gas gauge is going down a bit slower now and was at 130 miles when it crossed the quarter tank mark as opposed to 107 miles last time.

WHOA BABY. NO.

Now you need to pull the unit and do your base test all over again. If you want any layer of accuracy at all we need 2-3 tanks without the gay hydrogen unit before you can do more with it.

You cant change variables mid test.

srimes said:
re: exhaust heat electrical generation

if it does not improve mpg to take electricity from the alternator to make hydrogen, then it would be better to take the electricity generated from exhaust heat and simply change the battery with it. This will reduce alternator drag and increase mileage.

If there is excess energy generated then it could be used to turn a small electric motor to reduce gas consumption.
Add a solar panel to the equasion and now you're even more ahead of the game.

But first need to maximize gas output.
So many combinations to experiment with.

I know Cal, but I have an established baseline mpg that the car normally gets. the fill up just before the test started was 24.9 mpg, the lowest ever.

Average around town driving ( my normal driving) is 27-27.5 mpg.

The test hasn't changed, I have just performed routine maintenance. Expected mileage this tank is around 28 mpg unless I have a highway trip I don't know about yet. I could put the old stuff back on and fudge the test downward, but would that be fair?

goodburbon said:
I know Cal, but I have an established baseline mpg that the car normally gets. the fill up just before the test started was 24.9 mpg, the lowest ever.

Average around town driving ( my normal driving) is 27-27.5 mpg.

The test hasn't changed, I have just performed routine maintenance. Expected mileage this tank is around 28 mpg unless I have a highway trip I don't know about yet. I could put the old stuff back on and fudge the test downward, but would that be fair?

How far back does your 27-28 mpg go? When was the last tuneup?

Maybe I was reading into it too far, but I had the impression this car has always been a beater, and maybe assumed its always been a bit out of tune. ;)

You had an undiagnosed leak on the cell, and the car was out of tune. You've changed two variables, one in each system. The results of the first run, and the beginning of the second one are worthless now. Refill the tank, reset the odo, and start over.

hubs97xj said:
You had an undiagnosed leak on the cell, and the car was out of tune. You've changed two variables, one in each system. The results of the first run, and the beginning of the second one are worthless now. Refill the tank, reset the odo, and start over.
You're Fired!!
:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :peace:

cal said:
WHOA BABY. NO.

Now you need to pull the unit and do your base test all over again. If you want any layer of accuracy at all we need 2-3 tanks without the gay hydrogen unit before you can do more with it.

or get/borrow a scangauge2 so you can get instant readings and flip the h2 unit on and off.

cal said:
WHOA BABY. NO.

Cal, I agree with you on the changing of the variables mid-test but, I see the tune up as a plus.
His car always gets 27-27.5 mpg. Just because he beats the shizzle out of it doesn't mean he neglects it. I have a well beaten and maintained Cavalier 2.2 that consistently gets 28-29.8 city (without air on). If it varies on the low side something isn't right with the car. After the tune up & jar repair if the mpg is consistently less than the average, it's junk and he bit the $ bullet for us but, if it's more, thanks for the gamble and sharing the win with us.
Good luck.

hubs97xj said:

The leak was below the water line, there fore there was no vac leak, and a tune up is within normal operation parameters for any car. A miracle cure like hydrogen should counter act a poor tune anyway..

I'm not re-doing the test, I will continue it though.

Allow me to expand my answer. This is a real world test. LOTS of variables change. Air temp, relative humidity, variable speeds, oil changes, etc. I have a well established baseline going back almost a year. If the generator can't give me results in a real world scenario, then its usefulness for joe blow in the real world is nil, get it?

Back