• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good years for Wranglers

Cornflake

NAXJA Forum User
My father-in-law is looking for a used Jeep Wrangler. Doesn't want a CJ or any newer ones. What is better TJ or YJ and what are good years or things to look for in them?

Cornflake said:
My father-in-law is looking for a used Jeep Wrangler. Doesn't want a CJ or any newer ones. What is better TJ or YJ and what are good years or things to look for in them?

If you want to go with what you're familiar with;

The YJ never had RENIX - while the RENIX system was out in 1987-1990 XJ and MJ, the YJ got the AMC258ci/4.2L engine with AMC controls (points/condenser, carburettor, &c.) The YJ got the OBD-I compliant control setup with the AMC242ci/4.0L engine in 1991. I don't think it ever got the Peugeot, either (but I could be wrong on that.)

The YJ is still leaf sprung - whether this is an advantage or not is up to you.

IIRC, the TJ rolled out with OBD-II in 1996 (I'd have to check my timeline...)

Are you looking for anything specific in re: use of your Wrangler? Asking open-ended questions isn't the way to get very useful answers, but if you can narrow it down a bit, that will help immensely.

They live in Eureka so it would pretty much just see beach driving. Maybe Lost Coast runs but that's pretty simple. I'm sure he'd have me do a small lift, bigger tires, easier mods. Manual transmission is a must. Do they all have AX-15 or is there some AX-5's in there? How is that 4.2 versus the 4.0 and is the 2.5 an okay engine in a Wrangler? He's not mechanically inclined at all so I'd do some work for him but otherwise when I'm not there he'd be on his own. He's had a few XJ's in stock flavor and always wanted an open top. Maybe that helps some John.

-Chris

Cornflake said:
They live in Eureka so it would pretty much just see beach driving. Maybe Lost Coast runs but that's pretty simple. I'm sure he'd have me do a small lift, bigger tires, easier mods. Manual transmission is a must. Do they all have AX-15 or is there some AX-5's in there? How is that 4.2 versus the 4.0 and is the 2.5 an okay engine in a Wrangler? He's not mechanically inclined at all so I'd do some work for him but otherwise when I'm not there he'd be on his own. He's had a few XJ's in stock flavor and always wanted an open top. Maybe that helps some John.

-Chris

The AX-4 (four-speed) and AX-5 (five-speed) were used behind the AMC four-cylinder, while the AX-15 (five-speed) was used behind the AMC six. All three are good transmissions, but don't put the AX-4 or AX-5 behind the six and expect it to last - it isn't built for it (the AX-15 will probably last forever behind the four. Twice.)

The AMC four is a good engine. If you don't need a lot of power, you'll find it to be solid and rather efficient. It's a close cousin of the AMC six (as I recall, the 150ci four is essentially a 258ci six with the two middle cylinders cut out,) and some parts are common. It's easy enough to work on - unless he's going to be looking at doing a full rebuild of the thing, he should be fine.

Since he's not planning on making it a working truck or anything like that (I've got an idea or three on making myself a YJ or TJ work truck - especially for those days where I have to work in, say, San Francisco...) accessories and such don't seem to be as much of a concern.

Is ride quality important to him? Or is he just looking for something vaguely similar to the XJ (but smaller and open?)

Probably 1991-up YJ or TJ should be fine for him - that will give him OBD-I or OBD-II (which should cut down troubleshooting time for you,) and parts should stay available for a good long while.

I've had both YJ [square headlight] and TJ's [round headlight], I prefer the TJ hands down. 97 was the first year, you can tell a 97 because it has slider heater controls vs 98 which has round like the 97+XJ. I have two 97's with 2.5L 5 speeds, stay away from the automatic 4 cylinders. They come in SE base model 2.5, sport with 4.0 and Sahara with 4.0. You might find a 97SE with the 4.0, it was an option, but jeep closed that loophole in 98. The newer ones in 2000 I think were the SE 2.5, X 4.0, sport 4.0, Sahara 4.0. The X was the loophole that is basically an SE with a 4.0. The SE will also have an AX5 if manual, half console/no arm rest center console. AX15 if a 4.0 up till 2000 then they went NV tranny IIRC.
I'm happy with the 2.5L, gets 20mpg no matter what I do with it, it's a dog on the interstate if hills are involved and with it's 4:10's, 5 speed, 30 inch tires 5th is a dog on hills. I don't even take the one with 31's on the interstate.
Now if you find a cherry late 80's early 90's YJ with a 4.2 with a carter BBL 2 barrel you can convert it to GM fuel injection, www.bustedjeep.com has a step by step conversion from boneyard GM parts with part numbers and wiring mods. I wish he had had that page up before I converted my 89 YJ to a webber, it would have saved me money and aggravation.
My XJ is now pretty much down in philly now so I'm using the TJ's almost all the time now except when the wife lets me take her red ZJ...:(

Oh yea, YJ, get under it, look behind the rear wheels at the frame, they tend to rust thru there and the frame will let go, had it happen and had to reframe one, our 95. Also check the cross member by the gas tank. Check out the quadratec site, they have an aftermarket frame that will show you where all the frame pieces are. They also rust out behind the front fender flares and on the tub corners and the sides where your left foot goes only on the outside.

Last edited:
TJ's are in my opinion WAY more comfortable to drive, depending on how old he is, this way make a huge difference.

He's in his early 50's and I think ride would be important to him. Thanks for all of the info. I'll start looking at Craigslist for him since they don't have crap for sale over his way. Lots of good info like always guys :)

-Chris

I guess the simple answer to your question is TJ is the best. The only year TJ I would steer clear of is the 97 just because it was the first model year of the redesign.
If ride and manners are important, then a TJ is the way to go if his funds permit. They ride much better than a YJ and the top is alot easier to put up and down. If hes not going to lift it and put big tires on it, the 4 cyl. is enough engine to just cruise around but as soon as you start adding tires and weight to it, it starts to suck real quick. Either engine is reliable and MPG is almost the same with either. The only real advantage to the 4 cyl. is they can be had cheaper than the six.
The first couple years of the YJs did have the Peugeot and the carborated 258. Stay away from those. Any YJ from 91-95 is, for all practical purposes, the same. In 95 they went to 134 A/C and 297 ujoints on the later ones.

If you are familiar with your XJ, the TJ's drivetrain is pretty much the same so you know what to look for. If you find one that needs a new top, you're looking at around $400 for a replace a top. If he finds one he likes but it has soft doors and he wants hard doors or vice/versa, hes looking at around $800-$900 for a used set. If hes thinking of switching tops, used hardtops are hit and miss but hard to find in good shape. Most Sahara and some Sports come with a D44 rearend as an option, no X's or SEs came with that option. None of the transmissions stand out as being problematic. AX5, AX15 and NV3550 are the manuals. The automatics are the TF999 in the 6 cyl up to 02 I think. The TF909 is in the 4 cyl. They are both 3 spds and are reliable. I forget what the 4 spd auto is that came in the later years but I havent heard of any problems with them.

Last edited:
The only two weakness's in the 97's, 98's and 99's were the heater/defroster flapper door and the evaporator but the evaporators in jeeps suck anyway no matter what model you get. They also had the same instrument cluster going dead problem as the XJ's did during the same years. If you can find an unlimited even better, disc brakes all the way round, factory D44's in all of them.

87-90 yj's are junk and had the puke goat transmission and the 207 tcase. TJ is the best wrangler for the buck imho. Go 4.0L you wil not get enough better milage out of the 4 popper to be worth the lag in acceleration. I had a 97 TJ and hate I ever got rid of it some times, but when I mash the gas on my 4.0L xj I forget all about it.

Cornflake said:
He's in his early 50's and I think ride would be important to him. -Chris

I'm a new TJ owner, bought an '01 for a good price back in November. The only thing I can say about ride quality is......if I were about 10 yrs older than I am now (I'm 38), I wouldn't want a TJ as a daily driver. Don't get me wrong, it's a blast to drive and I love it, but in all honesty it isn't the most comfortable vehicle in the world. It's quite bouncy, but to be expected from coils on each corner. My 87 MJ lifted 6" drives like a cadillac compared to my TJ (although the TJ can turn on a pinhead but the MJ needs half a parking lot :))

If he hasn't driven one before, your father in law might want to try to find someone who can lend him a TJ for a few days so he can actually get a feel for how one drives.

Jeff

Wranglers are different and take some geting used to, the wife does not like any of ours and we have 4 in the family. Let me qualify that, she loves them in the warm weather topless. I'm quite comfortable in them, saving for an OME system to get the ride nicer and I'll admit mine have somewhat stiff shocks but they were on sale :D
I want one of the new 4 doors but can't afford it right now, the time will come.

Rich....funny.....my wife loves the TJ, but can't stand the MJ:confused1

Jeff

Ghost said:
87-90 yj's are junk and had the puke goat transmission and the 207 tcase. TJ is the best wrangler for the buck imho.

Damn that tranny sucked, I had an 87 as my first vehicle. Between having to spend big bucks getting some gears replaced and the body rot, I couldn't afford to drive it. Replaced that with the XJ, couldn't have made a better choice, although I still miss having the top and doors off on a nice day.

Back