• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good All Season Daily Driver Tire Recommendation?

philip_g said:
I'm running high tech retread AT green diamonds and love them.

I like the idea of them but in hot areas they kind of scare me, seen too many come apart when the new tread separates from the old tire they bonded it to. There is also that restriction the DOT or whoever handles truck safety that does not allow them to be run on the steering tires too. If I ran dedicated winter tires I might consider it and even get a set studded if you can stud recaps.

dlarrivee said:
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo :star:

x2

i ran BFG A/Ts prior to having these and the BFGs perform like shit compared to the Revos from a DD standpoint. Especially in heavy rain, the BFGs aren't radial so they would hydroplane like crazy. Not only do the Revos have a nice aggressive tread pattern it's sporty looking at the same time. the BFGs are a little too soft for me too, the tread wore down too quickly. The Revos are better at holding the road wet and dry too.

ty20404 said:
x2

i ran BFG A/Ts prior to having these and the BFGs perform like shit compared to the Revos from a DD standpoint. Especially in heavy rain, the BFGs aren't radial so they would hydroplane like crazy. Not only do the Revos have a nice aggressive tread pattern it's sporty looking at the same time. the BFGs are a little too soft for me too, the tread wore down too quickly. The Revos are better at holding the road wet and dry too.

I love them, they look badass. Leave a nice print in fresh snow, and do really well in the winter.

RichP said:
I like the idea of them but in hot areas they kind of scare me, seen too many come apart when the new tread separates from the old tire they bonded it to. There is also that restriction the DOT or whoever handles truck safety that does not allow them to be run on the steering tires too. If I ran dedicated winter tires I might consider it and even get a set studded if you can stud recaps.

Plenty of people run the hitechs and plenty of people love them. The load my XJ exerts on tires is a little less than a semi.

philip_g said:
I'm running high tech retread AT green diamonds and love them.
I might try these my next set of tires

how do the hitech AT's do in the mud and snow? I have a set of 30x9.5 hi-tech's in the mud terrain flavor,and they are GREAT in the mud,but leave a lot to be desired in the snow or wet pavement. I am thinking of going with the AT style next time I get tires.

My dad & brother have had good luck with Bridgestone Dueller AT Revos. Those will be the next tires that go on my 4-Runner.

ty20404 said:
x2

You need to lay off the crack!!:gee: My @$$, BFG's ARE radial and their compound is just right for a DD!

I'm on my second set of Dayton Timberline this newer set has a redesigned tread pattern. I haven't been let down yet. Only trying to overtake things I shouldn't be attempting anyway. At stock height I plowed through snow up to my bumper and at the end of the road when I opened my door I shaved a layer of snow off the top1 Granted I maintained 30-40mph rally style driving on the single lane road to Fallen Leaf Lake.

I dont know alot about snow performance, and as a tire tech I cant stand MOST Goodyears, but the GY Fortera TripleTread is an excellent tire, abit over priced in my opinion, but I live in FL so I dont need that kind of traction... As far as the Dueler Revo goes, Id get the regular Dueler A/T, better in the rain and the slick mud ive been in.
Hope I have helped you in your serch for new tires

For all out no holds barred wet, snow, off road, Pirelli Scorpion AT's. They amazed the heck out of me on wet roads. Sears used to carry them for ~$90 a tire out the door then stopped carrying them. Pirelli dealers wanted about $170 a tire around here. I looked on line and just may consider another set for the wifes ZJ now that I have access to tire machines and balancers.

cjben said:
how do the hitech AT's do in the mud and snow? I have a set of 30x9.5 hi-tech's in the mud terrain flavor,and they are GREAT in the mud,but leave a lot to be desired in the snow or wet pavement. I am thinking of going with the AT style next time I get tires.

they're awesome. The ones you have don't have any siping though and I figured they'd suck.

well, you asked for all season, daily driver and most answers seem to be skewing towards off road, and snow performance. About 300 miles ago i put Continetal CrossContact LX tires on my '00 XJ. I love them. They are great in the rain, and good in the snow. But most importantly to me was the ride quality, and nosie factor. These tires are quiet. They made so much of a difference over the orig. Goodyear wranglers (some of the worst tires in my opinion.) Check out their reviews and ratings at tirerack. I dont think you can go wrong with them.

not to mention the price. i got them for $92/each at my local discount tire.

ixj

The BFG AT's are great tires. I've run them on another Jeep and a couple of full size Blazers in the past. Right now I've got Dick Cepek FC2's on my xj and like them even more. They are a very good dd tire and have a little more bite, when needed, to them than the AT's, but they still maintain excellent road manners. I'm sold on them.

I spent 2 months researching and was down to Nokian Vatiivas, Toyo Open Country AT's and Cooper Discoverers. I have Nokians on my Expy and got nearly 70k out of them. I couldn't get the Coopers in the size I wanted (265/75/15) so I called a friend of a friend at Belle tire. I got Toyos for less than any of the others, and I LOVE them. I do lots of hwy driving and head off road without even worrying. I've been running around in the snow and ice here and they are great. Get them! Cheaper than most pricewise and a great tire.

FWIW if you want mostly street tires, go to Wallyworld and get Uniroyal Laredos. Put them on my brothers jeep and he loves them! Good in wet and snow. Not the most aggressive in the world but Hi tec retread MTs are cheap and work well for that!

MY .02+ :wave1:

Merry Christmas! I have to go shovel snow!

on the subject, I'm surprised tire prices haven't doubled along with the price of oil, it takes a lot of oil to make a tire as I understand it.

ColoradoRaptor said:
You need to lay off the crack!!:gee: My @$$, BFG's ARE radial and their compound is just right for a DD!

Okay, I didn't mean radial... I'm not sure what the word is to describe it but if you look at the pattern of the BFG there is no channel that runs the entire circumference of tthe tire, the Dueler Revo has several.

What I'm saying is that the BFG would trap water in it's pockets with nowhere to go causing me to hydroplane. The Dueler is very good at keeping one from hydroplaning because it has several of these channels to keep the tire in contact with the ground.

and yes, it does cause you to lose some traction off road considering the BFG A/T was originally a mud based tire and therefore didn't have this pattern to aid with wet weather ON ROAD traction.

Back