• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goatman looking for a new job selling Chevy's?

FarmerMatt

NAXJA Forum User
Could be a reality. Fords on the ropes & one of there flagships looks to be in trouble.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/business-10/1168643961254260.xml&storylist=newsmichigan

Ford sues supplier Navistar over engine prices, warranty dispute

1/12/2007, 6:11 p.m. ET By JOHN D. STOLL
The Associated Press DETROIT (AP) — Ford Motor Co. has filed suit against U.S. diesel engine supplier Navistar International Corp. regarding pricing and a contract dispute, a move that could trigger hiccups for the supply of high-profit Super Duty pickup trucks down the road.
Dearborn-based Ford filed the lawsuit in a Michigan court against Warrenville, Ill.-based Navistar on Thursday, accusing it of not complying with a warranty cost-sharing agreement and "unjustifiably" raising prices on a diesel engine used in the F-series pickup truck line.
The lawsuit states that Navistar has threatened to cut off shipments if Ford does not pay a price Navistar is demanding, a move Ford says would breach a contract. Also, Ford accuses Navistar of not complying with warranty-contract obligations related to the cost of fixing quality glitches that consumers encounter.

Ford started debiting Navistar's invoices to recover what it feels the supplier owes related to warranties, according to the lawsuit.
The lawsuit comes at a vulnerable point for Ford and Navistar, which are counting on a successful partnership to make money in a tough U.S. market where high costs and falling domestic-vehicle market share have forced job cuts at both companies.
Though Ford's actions could hurt the auto maker and the supplier, Ford is banking on the success of large pickups — many of which use Navistar engines — to help the auto maker regain profitability. Because engines are such high-cost components, it is seen as essential for Ford to pay competitive prices for the part.
Both Ford and Navistar confirmed the lawsuit, which was reported Friday by the Chicago Tribune, though Navistar spokesman Roy Wiley said the company had not yet been officially served.
"This is totally without merit and we are going to vigorously respond in court," Wiley said.
Ford is in the midst of launching its critical F-Series Super Duty vehicles in the United States. The truck has traditionally represented more than 300,000 vehicles worth of annual volume, and 70 percent of Super Duty trucks carry diesel engines. The vehicle was redesigned for 2007, but its sales launch was delayed by nearly six months due to problems in diesel engine development — the launch is now planned early this year.
Ford and Navistar have a longtime partnership for the development and supply of diesel engines, but various quality issues and a delay on the development of a recent product have shaken the relationship somewhat.

Hate to say it, but all of the "big 3" are in trouble. It's too bad too, I really think in spite of all the bad press and reputation, all 3 make a pretty good product. Except Chevy cars... I hate Chevy cars....They ride like a red wagon.

There is not a domestic automaker that makes a decent car.

Only 2 make a decent truck, and on of them ain't GM.

There is a reason my wife drives an import.

Rev

We got a call at work last week from Navistar... they said something about a good deal on a shit load of engines. :)

We laughed because we thought they were joking. Now I guess they were not.

Rev Den said:
There is not a domestic automaker that makes a decent car.

Only 2 make a decent truck, and on of them ain't GM.

There is a reason my wife drives an import.

Rev

ohh c'mon rev. Not even decent. Granted no unanimous world beaters. What about the corvette, mustang, 300, c'mon how can you not dig the 300 or the magnum.:smsoap:

I never did like the Ford/Navistar consumer diesels. Nor the consumer Chevy diesels. IMHO, Dodge/Cummins did the only decent consumer grade rig.
Good luck Goatman.... You may be selling Chebbys to Farmer Matt after his crops all die (except he does not do citrus, IIRC?)

FarmerMatt said:
Could be a reality. Fords on the ropes & one of there flagships looks to be in trouble.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/business-10/1168643961254260.xml&storylist=newsmichigan

Ford sues supplier Navistar over engine prices, warranty dispute

1/12/2007, 6:11 p.m. ET By JOHN D. STOLL
The Associated Press DETROIT (AP) — Ford Motor Co. has filed suit against U.S. diesel engine supplier Navistar International Corp. regarding pricing and a contract dispute, a move that could trigger hiccups for the supply of high-profit Super Duty pickup trucks down the road.
Dearborn-based Ford filed the lawsuit in a Michigan court against Warrenville, Ill.-based Navistar on Thursday, accusing it of not complying with a warranty cost-sharing agreement and "unjustifiably" raising prices on a diesel engine used in the F-series pickup truck line.
The lawsuit states that Navistar has threatened to cut off shipments if Ford does not pay a price Navistar is demanding, a move Ford says would breach a contract. Also, Ford accuses Navistar of not complying with warranty-contract obligations related to the cost of fixing quality glitches that consumers encounter.

Ford started debiting Navistar's invoices to recover what it feels the supplier owes related to warranties, according to the lawsuit.
The lawsuit comes at a vulnerable point for Ford and Navistar, which are counting on a successful partnership to make money in a tough U.S. market where high costs and falling domestic-vehicle market share have forced job cuts at both companies.
Though Ford's actions could hurt the auto maker and the supplier, Ford is banking on the success of large pickups — many of which use Navistar engines — to help the auto maker regain profitability. Because engines are such high-cost components, it is seen as essential for Ford to pay competitive prices for the part.
Both Ford and Navistar confirmed the lawsuit, which was reported Friday by the Chicago Tribune, though Navistar spokesman Roy Wiley said the company had not yet been officially served.
"This is totally without merit and we are going to vigorously respond in court," Wiley said.
Ford is in the midst of launching its critical F-Series Super Duty vehicles in the United States. The truck has traditionally represented more than 300,000 vehicles worth of annual volume, and 70 percent of Super Duty trucks carry diesel engines. The vehicle was redesigned for 2007, but its sales launch was delayed by nearly six months due to problems in diesel engine development — the launch is now planned early this year.
Ford and Navistar have a longtime partnership for the development and supply of diesel engines, but various quality issues and a delay on the development of a recent product have shaken the relationship somewhat.

It's all positioning. Like two brothers fighting over who goes first. Niether can afford a disruption in production, they are just forcing each other to the table to work out a hard problem.

Ford's been screwed by Firestone, and now Navistar, and I'm sure they're tired of it. During that tire fiasco a few years ago, Ford stepped up and did the whole recall/repalcement out of their own pocket, Firestone wouldn't do anything. Now Ford has had some engine management system problems on the early 6.0 Powerstroke's that was a Navistar problem, the engine control system was Navistar, not Ford.

Thankfully, the new 6.4 Powerstroke has a Ford engine control system, and they have abused the hell out of it in development trying to break everything on it. We saw a cutaway version of it the other day, and it's pretty cool, with twin sequential turbos and high zoot Piezoelectric injectors that give 5 seperate injections of fuel per cycle. I want one. I also want an '08 F450 crew cab pickup with a 6200 lb payload capacity and 26000 lb tow rating........BAD ASS!!!

Don't know about the delay that the news article reported. We've always been told that the new motor would come out with an early release of the redesigned 2008 Super Duty (not '07 like the article said) and for Jan '07 production to coincide with the new federal smog emmision requirements.

Rev, I worked 10 years for Toyota and now 12 years for Ford. I wouldn't own a Camry or an Accord, good cars but I just don't like the way they drive. The imports have done an excellent job of quality for a long time and they have earned the reputation that they have. However, the domestics have made great strides but will never catch the imports on quality reputation no matter how good they build their cars. Having worked for both, and seen the shops and warrenty claims on both, and dealt with the customers for both, there isn't much difference.

Thankfully, Toyota sells SUV's based on reputation, certainly not on looks.......their SUV's are seriously ugly.

Goatman said:
Thankfully, Toyota sells SUV's based on reputation, certainly not on looks.......their SUV's are seriously ugly.
so is the new tundra

Goatman said:

Toyota still makes SUV's? I thought they stopped making real SUV's in 1986. Oh wait they did make Land Cruisers for several years with a SFA. HA, sorry just being SFA snooty.

DansGreyMj said:
so is the new tundra

I agree 100%. And I work for Toyota Motor Mfg. We build the V6, 409 V8 and now the new Tundra 507 V8. I have seen the new truck in person. The inside is more like a car, it has 385 hp and will tow over 10,000 lbs. But it's in the same boat as ford, but toyota builds there own engines. They are suppose to come out next month, after being pushed back several months already due to engine problems. The new motor is huge, looks like a Big Block and it sounds good as well. But I have always been a chevy man, and would not trade my 07 Duramax for one, even if they had a diesel. Hine sight is that all companys face product issues. Toyota doesn't hurts as bad due to they own most all the companies that build there products. Most is made in house. This lowers the cost, and they work out the issues withen themselves. I like Fords, and I am sure they will get this straightened out. And Goatman when you start Selling Chevy's let me know I will be one of your customers. LOL

caglezxj said:
And Goatman when you start Selling Chevy's let me know I will be one of your customers. LOL

:)

I'm the used car manager, and I have Duramax's on the lot. :D

Goatman said:
:)

I'm the used car manager, and I have Duramax's on the lot. :D

Hmmmm...... I wonder if that is a good thing to say? :)

Goatman said:
During that tire fiasco a few years ago, Ford stepped up and did the whole recall/repalcement out of their own pocket, Firestone wouldn't do anything.

If you're talking about the Explorer roll-over fracas, this is something I never understood.

I thought the whole problem was caused by Ford telling people to run their tires with too little air in them, and that if they had been inflated properly the problem would not have occurred. Seems to me I recall something about the plaques on the Explorers saying to run ~26psi, which was far lower than Firestone thought was safe.

What am I missing?

Rob

I watched a special on the whole Explorer/Firestone problem a few years back. They took a professional driver and a Explorer that was modified to have the tires rapidly lose all the air in them (simulate a blowout). Not once did the Ford flip itself over, as he even let it "blowout" without his hands on the wheel. So they concluded that it was driver error, not bad parts that caused them to roll.

Michaelarchangelo said:
I watched a special on the whole Explorer/Firestone problem a few years back. They took a professional driver and a Explorer that was modified to have the tires rapidly lose all the air in them (simulate a blowout). Not once did the Ford flip itself over, as he even let it "blowout" without his hands on the wheel. So they concluded that it was driver error, not bad parts that caused them to roll.
that "test" was complete BS, 1. he was a professional driver and 2.he was expecting the tire to blow out. Enough said right there

ROBZ95Xj said:
that "test" was complete BS, 1. he was a professional driver and 2.he was expecting the tire to blow out. Enough said right there

Explain the last part then. Hands off the wheel. So right then and there it tells you one very important thing, it was driver error, not equipment malfunction.

Well, he was an automotive magazine editor, and he even had it blowout with his hands OFF the wheel. They blew out the driver's rear repeatedly and the 'Sploder was NEVER out of control.

Sheeple are idiots. Don't know how to drive anything. SUVs driven too fast by people that don't know any better, with tire pressure lower than they should be is a bad recipe.

Remember when ABS brakes got you an insurance discount? But then, two things happened. The pulsing of the ABS system caused sheeple to let off the brakes and still have an accident (seems nobody told them that meant the brakes were working), or if the ABS worked and they stayed on the brakes, sheeple didn't know what to do with control and STILL wrecked... No more ABS discount...

And if you really think you know how to drive, take a professional racing course sometime. And I've forgotten an aweful lot since I did 25 years ago...

ROBZ95Xj said:

Back