• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goatfest carnage thread

here's a shot of my control arm taco :D

75313_1590972587890_1643138606_1402394_246361_n.jpg

Nice!

:cheers:

Not sure if its really jv carnage but my battery is done. I think ill blame winching grimmy.
Death wobble is mysteriously gone though. I can't find any cause for it nor have I fixed anything yet so I'm just gona let it ride

Whos job was it to take Grimms keys??? ha ha ha

Mine.....when he was drinking, he did that sober!!!.lol!

yeah dean grabbed the keys from me when the courage started flowing, haha. I did that friday night before I started drinking. i think it was bent before and had a weak spot, I came over a burm and nosed into a rut on the other side only going about 10 mph. I slowed down cause i didnt know what was on the other side and when the tire dropped into the rut it jarred the jeep pretty good. drove through it and back to camp and parked it for the night. Josh noticed the bent control arm the next morning.

Aftershock took out my Warn Stub:
GF2010_0752.jpg

GF2010_0761.jpg

Aftershock also took out my antenna, and Chocolate Thunder took out my Warn Hub:
GF2010_0759.jpg

I still don't know how bad the damage is from the stub break, about the last 60 miles from home I had some violent grinding from the front end.

Sorry to dig this thread back up. I just got around to getting my pics uploaded.

I also wanted to post up a big thanks to Carol for letting me borrow her car no questions asked, well at least until AFTER I had already left. Needed to run into Lucerne Valley for a blow torch and some solder to fix my radiator. Racing through the desert trying to beat Letterman back to camp was a blast. But the big puddle of coolant under my rig when I got there first wasn't much fun.

Radiator is less than 1 month old. Good thing I didn't buy the plastic and aluminum one. The fan clutch caught the support bracket and pushed it into the radiator tubes.
standard.jpg

Took out approx 5 or 6 tubes.
standard.jpg

I had been running this same clutch for years with no problem. It appears the new radiator is slightly bigger and caught one of the fingers on the clutch. The fingers have since been removed.
standard.jpg

Took a few hours to fix. Got help from Letterman and Jack. Goatman came by and heckled me until it got fixed and put back together.

Thanks again to Mike Finch, and to Carol for finding me a ride into town. My repair held for the 450 mile drive home, and is still holding up just fine.
See you guys next year.

nice work on the repair! I would have just thrown my hands up and bought a new radiator

Always happy to help, and I'm glad you made it home intact!

I just thought it was funny when I realized Finch hadn't loaned my car to who he thought he had loaned it to (Letterman), but instead to "some guy in a red Jeep, I think his name is Bryan".

And then you post up " Racing through the desert trying to beat Letterman back to camp was a blast." which made my brain stumble for a bit again, thinking 'My Mitsubishi Mirage was racing Letterman's rig on the lakebed? Wow!'

A good time was had by just about everybody, and I can't wait til next year!

I finally got my carnage pics uploaded to photobucket so here they are:
157896918_photobucket_10887_.jpg

157896918_photobucket_10886_.jpg

The good news is that I was able to actually straighten my axle and then truss it so it's fixed! Pics in next post.

How the hell did you fix that axle? I thought it was done for sure!

How the hell did you fix that axle? I thought it was done for sure!
I ran a heavy duty chain from the bottom of the lower "c" on each side and put a 12 ton bottle jack in between the chain and the bottom of the axle tube and applied pressure until the axle bent back in place. I did this on 2 axles so if someone bends an axle in the future don't count it out till we try to straighten it. Any axle that is straightened in this manner must be trussed before any more wheeling or it might just bend much worse next time.

Back