• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GMB High Performance Water Pumps

I still have a used Hesco pump for sale. And yeah they are day a night difference over all the other junk out there.

All the other water pumps are pretty much stock impellers with a plate riveted to them. Hesco's design is completely different. Weasel, PM me how much you are asking.

Why are you selling is what i wondered

As for the E-fan cycling with the AC.:
Ones the engine coolant reaches a given temp. About 220 by my gauge and the real engine temp WILL be diferant. The E-fan should run regardless of the setting of the AC. If the E-fan and it's high coolant temp control system is working properly.
Running the heat to the floor will fry your toes in short order. So I also use the defrost setting if a little extra cooling is needed. The small load of the compressor be dammed.

So I would check the E-fan for proper operation at higher temps.
Your tstat may not be fully opening. Get a good one.
Check you clutch fan.
Then have a close look at the rad. A new stock or HD rad may very well fix that over heating problem.
Sorry the WP is the last thing would look to.
Sorry! on an old Jeep is IS possible to have more then one weak part.

Last edited:
Why are you selling is what i wondered

It's off my 89, I swamped in a engine from a 99 this summer. During the parts ordering frenzy I bought a new pump from Hesco and installed it, thinking it was different then the one I had. After getting the engine together I started looking at my old one only to realize they both were the same.

Gotcha, no sweat, it appears to be a superior design.

Anybody actually have one of these?? What do the impellers look like?

I found them online for $44 plus shipping

http://www.partsgeek.com/6kngbb2-je...ngCom&fp=pp&utm_term=110-1080P+GMB+Water+Pump

Summit Racing says this about them..

GMB high performance water pumps are designed and built to combat the engine overheating associated with higher performance and load applications. GMB high performance water pumps feature a precision-ground, heavy-duty steel bearing that's completely sealed and lubed for life. These GMB high performance water pumps have a specially modified, higher performance impeller that eliminates cavitation at all rpm and maintains maximum volumetric flow of coolant throughout the engine.

Additional features of GMB high performance water pumps are:

* Increase pump pressure up to 300 percent
* Eliminate steam pockets trapped inside the engine block
* Reduce engine temperature by 15-30 degrees
* Help increase horsepower

But the picture on amazon looks like a factory style impeller..

http://www.amazon.com/GMB-110-1080P...r=1997|1997&carId=001&n=15684181&s=automotive

I am suspecting the picture is just incorrect on amazon...because there is also a GMB-110-1080 model, (without the P for performance) but I'm not sure..

I bought this one

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...ughone-or-gmb_5760461-p?searchTerm=water+pump

I was not impressed with the quality or design of the casting. I ended up taking it back and buying a cardone reman that used the factory chryco casting
I'm not sure if the "performance" pump has a different casting or not. From the photo, looks the same.

I'd also be cognizant of the tendency for the lower radiator hose to collapse under high RPM operation. So take that into account with a higher flow pump.

All that said, I was happy with the cardone reman and it's been working fine.

Ya, I am thinking that's just the GMB-110-1080 model because they have a performance line of pumps (with the P on the end) and an OE style line (without the P)..

I didn't think about that.. I suppose I could always insert one of those spring shaped support inserts inside the tube so it doesn't collapse if I have to.

why is it, that every time i post on this website someone replies to a totally different post in the thread from 3 years prior...

is my font gray....

Okay, so the manufacturer claims 300% increase in pump pressure and blah blah blah...but the impeller. It is actually different? Got these views from Summit Racing's site in the 360* view.

Here is the GMP OE Style pump..

And here is the GMP Performance pump..

They claim, "These GMB high performance water pumps have a specially modified, higher performance impeller"...They basically welded a plate on the front of the OE style impeller. You can see from the 360* view if you look close, there aren't any more blades etc. Not what I was hoping for. Maybe they changed the casting a bit or ported the inside similar to a "high-flow" thermostat housing..

There's the tech.

Ya, I am thinking that's just the GMB-110-1080 model because they have a performance line of pumps (with the P on the end) and an OE style line (without the P)..

I didn't think about that.. I suppose I could always insert one of those spring shaped support inserts inside the tube so it doesn't collapse if I have to.

You should always try to have the spring in the hose. Sadly new hoses aren't coming with them these days, so I always have to fish the old one out and try not to break it to reuse it.

My problem with the GMB casting was that it's not al cast as one piece. There a pieces that fit together, getting it to seal against the block looked to be a pain. It also has a direct "port" that goes to the impeller, where the chrysler/AMC castings have a large open area there that exposes more of the impeller on the intake side.
I'm not a fluid dynamics guy, but the chrysler housing looked much better designed and the GMB design looked like the beancounters had struck and cut as much metal out of it as possible.

Again, I didn't run the GMB pump., it may work fine, it may work better, but I know that the AMC designed casting works just fine, so I stuck with it.

Okay, so the manufacturer claims 300% increase in pump pressure and blah blah blah...but the impeller. It is actually different? Got these views from Summit Racing's site in the 360* view.

Here is the GMP OE Style pump..

And here is the GMP Performance pump..

They claim, "These GMB high performance water pumps have a specially modified, higher performance impeller"...They basically welded a plate on the front of the OE style impeller. You can see from the 360* view if you look close, there aren't any more blades etc. Not what I was hoping for. Maybe they changed the casting a bit or ported the inside similar to a "high-flow" thermostat housing..

There's the tech.
I riveted a flat plate like that to the impeller of a stock water pump. Not sure if it made a difference but it ended up the same as the GMB design. If I had to replace the pump again I would go with the HESCO pump and use Evans waterless coolant.

My problem with the GMB casting was that it's not al cast as one piece. There a pieces that fit together, getting it to seal against the block looked to be a pain. It also has a direct "port" that goes to the impeller, where the chrysler/AMC castings have a large open area there that exposes more of the impeller on the intake side.

I'm not a fluid dynamics guy, but the chrysler housing looked much better designed and the GMB design looked like the beancounters had struck and cut as much metal out of it as possible.

I think that's about all the more I needed to pass up the GMB....any other affordable aftermarket ones worth mentioning..?

I riveted a flat plate like that to the impeller of a stock water pump. Not sure if it made a difference but it ended up the same as the GMB design. If I had to replace the pump again I would go with the HESCO pump and use Evans waterless coolant.

I was actually considering this...but then I started thinking about balancing and the bearing..maybe it wouldn't matter..

I think that's about all the more I needed to pass up the GMB....any other affordable aftermarket ones worth mentioning..?

I was actually considering this...but then I started thinking about balancing and the bearing..maybe it wouldn't matter..
It doesn't spin fast enough to make a difference for balance. I did have to use a press to move the impeller a little farther down the shaft to prevent the impeller from contacting the block though.

I guess I'm reviving a nearly 9 year old thread. I just received a Hesco water pump today (direct from Hesco), and it indeed has their custom impeller, but ... drum roll ... its mated to a GMB water pump body that has the smaller cross section inlet neck. Rather fascinating combination of high flow impeller and possibly restricted inlet neck. I sent an email to Hesco asking their opinion on the water inlet neck x-sectional area.

I guess I'm reviving a nearly 9 year old thread. I just received a Hesco water pump today (direct from Hesco), and it indeed has their custom impeller, but ... drum roll ... its mated to a GMB water pump body that has the smaller cross section inlet neck. Rather fascinating combination of high flow impeller and possibly restricted inlet neck. I sent an email to Hesco asking their opinion on the water inlet neck x-sectional area.

Is the impellor as the one HECO pictures? I ordered one and the impellor was like a one piece Flow Cooler. That was probably 7 years ago.

Yes, my Hesco water pump has the Hesco machined aluminum impeller.

I've not been able to find a good photo of the impeller of the GMB high flow pump, but I've seen a few posts that say that it looks like a Flowkooler impeller like what you found. Considering that Flowkooler pumps use the same body as GMB (including the odd casting on the GMB where the heat heater core inlet flow path is slotted), it appears to me that the Flowkooler is just a relabelled GMB high flow pump.

I was more concerned about the inlet neck of the GMB pump body that has a lower cross sectional area for coolant flow into the impeller compared to OEM, Gates, AC Delco, Airtex, and pretty much all others on RockAuto. What's the point of a high flow impeller if there is a significant restriction before it. Would seem to be a recipe for potentially no improvement in flow rate and more cavitation.

My guess at this point is that GMB is assembling the pumps for Flowkooler and Hesco.

I got a hold of Hesco, and their pumps are indeed assembled by GMB. They switched from Gates to GMB about five years ago. He says that water neck flow path is not an issue.

Back