• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

??Glasspacks??

OK, I'm going to be ordering my Borla header soon and I'm not sure what I want to do after my header. I was thinking about no cat (no emissions tests in IL), 2 1/4" pipe into a flowmaster and then a 3" outlet into a tip. How would that setup sound? (95 4.0 HO)

woody431 said:
OK, I'm going to be ordering my Borla header soon and I'm not sure what I want to do after my header. I was thinking about no cat (no emissions tests in IL), 2 1/4" pipe into a flowmaster and then a 3" outlet into a tip. How would that setup sound? (95 4.0 HO)

Not good. It will resonate a lot and probably sound a little hollow (like a ricer) due to the 3" tailpipe.

I'm running the same setup only with a 2 1/4 tailpipe. I don't like mine.
IMHO

Sorry, missed the Borla header. I don't have a header. Otherwise, same.

woody431 said:

Uhhh, no cat=not a good idea. IL does have emmisions tests, you have to get them every two years. I live here. How long have you had your truck for? You'll get the note in the mail. They have sniffers and an outside visual. Keep the cat, keep the state and the trees happy. Good Luck.

Both states I've lived in (UT & AZ) it depends on where in the state you live if an inspection is required. Big cities require them and rural areas do not in my experience.

Cut out the stock muffler, buy ready cut at auto parts store (cost $3.49) and weld in place. Plenty of clearance and no more rock damaged mufflers.

Rabbit

i seemed to pay a lot more for my glasspack then u guys. I have a quick story tho.....bare with me...so i decided to cut off my muffler buy a cherry bomb, and have a friend weld it on, he didnt measure the distance to have the glasspack match up, almost let my whole underbody on fire, but it was alright, i went to a muffler shop and they put on a bluestream glasspack (uf anyone has heard of this) for 50 plus labor like 20 bucks. They say its the best glasspack out there for sound, and is a quality muffler. is anyone runnin this and what do they think..... sorry if that story put u to sleep, the muffler guys said they have never seen such a bad weling job in there life so they took a picture an framed it in there shop. :gee:

I am running a super turbo myself with a turndown. I like the sound. Guys, I hope your not going off-road with no cat and a glass pack, what are you doing for a spark arrestor?

ryurabbit said:
Cut out the stock muffler, buy ready cut at auto parts store (cost $3.49) and weld in place. Plenty of clearance and no more rock damaged mufflers.

Rabbit

Just did this on friday. Course I spent $12.50 cause I didn't want to mess with welding in tube, so I bought adapters and u-bolts. My stock muffler was rotting out, creaking and banging. I didn't have time to track down the muffler I was planning on, so I straight tubed it through that section.

It isn't as loud as I thought. Actually, several fellow XJrs asked what muffler I was running and were super surprised at my reply. "Muffler? take off yer skirt ya sissy!" :spin1:

jjvande said:
anyone runnig a turn down after the cherrybom instead of the rest of the pipe?

any thoughts.

Just the chance of lots of fumes inside the rig.
Mike B.

Here's what I'm running and I don't really care for it. I put a Cherrybomb TUrboII on and then added a 90 degree turn out in front of the rear tire. It's kinda loud and blatty. Not the best sound. Next time Im thinkiing of getting the glasspack and have a tail pipe bent up. I only did this since I couldn't afford a new tail pipe.

In NC, we have visual and emissions inspections, plus my XJ has OBD2 with O2 sensors in front of and in back of the cat....

I was thinking of getting one of those Monza resonator tips and using that as a muffler. I did that on a 4.3L V6 GMC pickup I had and it sounded great.

Nik said:
Hell yeah straight pipes or go home

I run straigt pipes right out of my header with a chrome turnout in front of my rear tire. It doesn't resnate at all. Soundslike a full blown 540 or somthn, not a tuner. I want to run a 4 inch pipe out my rear cuz my stereo wont even blast over the noise. But I like it.

Cheers,

Nik

CRASH said:
Why bother with any pipes at all?

Go straight header or go home!

CRASH

yeah, about that. My roommate ran his straight header to the exhaust shop. I was following and had the windows closed, and it still sounded like I was inside an airplane.

JeepSpeed said:
Uhhh, no cat=not a good idea. IL does have emmisions tests, you have to get them every two years. I live here. How long have you had your truck for? You'll get the note in the mail. They have sniffers and an outside visual. Keep the cat, keep the state and the trees happy. Good Luck.

Hey sorry it took so long to reply. I've had my XJ for a year and my cat was shot. Totally junk. I had my muffler guy cut it off and put a new piece of pipe in. My ex. manifold is starting to junk out on me too, but i'm rebuilding my 4.0 this summer and putting in the 4.6L. So I might just run a Borla or Banks header and go into a free flow cat and just go straight out w/ no muffler? I definetly do NOT want a ricer sound, but a good throaty rumble.

Is the emission test just a Chicago thing? I live down by Springfield in a town of 3500 people and no one in my family has ever gotten a letter or had to do any tests....who knows..

I don't know what you guys are talking about xjs being loud. When me and my friend replaced my exhaust we started her up to see how loud it was. When we turned her off first thing we all said was "wow that wasn't even close to as loud as mark's galaxy with the 460" and my friend mark's galaxy had 2 mufflers and no exhaust leaks:D

Back