• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Giving a speech on Land Use Issues and could use a little help...

Chili Palmer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for some information to help with an upcoming speech; actually 2 speeches. My Communication 101 class requires 3 speeches (1 to inform, 1 to inform with visual aids and 1 to motivate!) I'm doing the first (to inform) and last (to motivate - I can use visual aids also) speech on Land Use (I'm using the second visual aid speech to discuss the history of billiards - another life long passion of mine).

As mentioned there are two speeches that I'll be doing on Land Use, the first is 5 to 6 minutes with no visual aids. For this speech I would like to discuss the major points of Land Use Issues, i.e. when did our trails start getting shut down, which branches of the govt. effect us, how clubs and associations got started, something along these lines:

Jeeping started around 19xx (shortly after WWII)
A little history of off-road clubs
A little history of agencies like the BLM, etc.
Some history on environmentalist, etc.

The second speech is "a speech to motivate" at which point I will discuss, in more detail, issues like Tellico, Johnson Valley, current law suits (similar to HR 5580) HOW and WHY clubs associations due what they do etc. And then tell them all to join a club
biggrin.gif

What I'm looking for right now are key events in Land Use, i.e. Tellico, Johnson Valley, etc. Obviously I'll be reading through the BRC, Treadlightly or similar websites for dates, events, membership numbers, etc. and I can do the research but any info would help, thanks.

(P.s. - this is a copy and paste from another forum, trying to get as much info as possible.)

Get the new JP magazine (Four Wheeler and Off Road also). If you saw in the off-topic forum, all three are featuring stories on government shut downs. I haven't read the Four Wheeler or Off Road, but the articles in JP this month are pretty informative.

Chili as far as the visual aids go: are you allowed to hand out pamphlets? I would put together some of those if they are allowed, it might take away from your speech though if people are playing with papers during it. I love this topic for a class project though, if I think of anything I will let you know.

Get the new JP magazine (Four Wheeler and Off Road also). If you saw in the off-topic forum, all three are featuring stories on government shut downs. I haven't read the Four Wheeler or Off Road, but the articles in JP this month are pretty informative.

Actually I work at Wal-mart part-time and I saw those today but didn't have time to read them then I forgot to pick them up after work! I'm going in early tomorrow to buy them. Thanks for the reminder!

Chili as far as the visual aids go: are you allowed to hand out pamphlets? I would put together some of those if they are allowed, it might take away from your speech though if people are playing with papers during it. I love this topic for a class project though, if I think of anything I will let you know.

This first speech can't use visual aids, that will be my 3rd and final "speech to inform" (the second speech can use visual aids but is not a speech to motivate so I'm using that one to discuss the history of billiards).

I will definitely have some handouts for my last speech along with a power point presentation! Thanks for the idea...

Anyone else?

Is there anything you would want to say to a small audience who is interested in this subject (we did an audience analysis first and everyone said they enjoy the outdoors and would be interested in this subject)?

Back