• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting back into an xj

Revelations

NAXJA Forum User
EDIT... Mods, I did not see the New Members area. Rather than create 2 threads, would someone move this to the appropriate sub-forum?

Hey guys. Im new to this site, but not XJ's. I live in S.E Idaho an hour away from Wyoming. Anyways when I moved to Idaho in 04, I soon learned having a rwd Mercedes was a little too sketchy during the winter's.

I acquired a renix era 2 door with 252, 000 on the ticker. It ran like a scaled dog for 2 years till I had cronic issues with oveheating, high idle, cps, oil leaks, and the worst of all the carpet was always wet driving in the rain. Got brave one day and pulled the carpet. Found football sized holes in the floor. I sent it to the wrecker not knowing how hard the 2 drs are to find.

I'm in the process of buying 15 acres in rual Nevada. There's 7 miles of bladed dirt road to get on the property. The closest town is 30 min away. So suffice to say, I need a dependable 4x4.

I'm leaning towards another xj. I have better tools and patient's this time around. I won't be rock crawling, just washes a some occasional snow drifts.

So my question is, out of all the xj years which one in your opinion is the least problematic? I heard there certain years with head cracking issues? I have 5k to spend. Not sure if I will lift or not. My ol 89 renix did pretty good being stock. Thanks in Advance guys.

Garrett

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'll agree 91'-95' is a good year with good flowing heads and not to hard to fix. Late models are nice. Really depends what body style you like

Thanks for replies guys. I have a few xj's lined up. I'll post some pics once I find something.

Sent from my LGL82VL using Tapatalk

Back