• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Genright XJ Extended Range Gas Tank install

For anyone who is interested, aerotanks.com offers a 30 Gal tank for 84-96 XJ's for $667 including skid plate. Doesn't look as nice as the Genright but will save you a few bucks. Stock number is CWS-30.

For anyone who is interested, aerotanks.com offers a 30 Gal tank for 84-96 XJ's for $667 including skid plate. Doesn't look as nice as the Genright but will save you a few bucks. Stock number is CWS-30.

You could easily mount this tank in any xj with a fuel pump for a 97-01. You need a new pump for the aero one.

A few questions about the Genright.

Will the fuel pump for a 97-01 work in a 89 Cherokee with this tank?

Will the fuel gauge sender for the 97-01 work with the 89 gauge?

Going to dig up an old thread here. I was looking at doing the swap onto my 88. Oldmanxj asked two questions.... Serious Offroad, Im assuming that your answer is aimed towards the first question.
With that said, this tank is only able to be used on a 97-01 XJ because the early models didn't have fuel lines capable of surviving the extra pressure of the newer pumps.???

Going to dig up an old thread here. I was looking at doing the swap onto my 88. Oldmanxj asked two questions.... Serious Offroad, Im assuming that your answer is aimed towards the first question.
With that said, this tank is only able to be used on a 97-01 XJ because the early models didn't have fuel lines capable of surviving the extra pressure of the newer pumps.???

Well, I know that it's basically plug n pray for 97-up, due to fuel pump mounting. Do not see why one could not find a pump that fits/works with renix heep. Then again. For all the time money etc, might be able to buy a fuel cell, or build an HD extra cap. tank.

97+ fuel pressure is controlled at the pump and your renix is controlled at the fuel rail and uses a return line back to the tank. They're two different systems and doesn't have anything to do with what type of line runs to the fuel rail. I've thought about going with the genright and replacing my fuel system but I can't decide if I want to spend that much on a tank.

Bump!

Just wanted to say, Redjeep2.0 and Myself just installed a 98' ZJ tank in his 97 XJ with zero modifications

23 gallons.. And they are the same pump

I wanted to put this out there since a tank is cheap and I can't seem to find much info from anyone else doing this.. The ZJ tank is the same depth at the fuel pump (so it should read accurately). But about 1" bigger in the other measurements

It's only a few extra gallons as opposed to the GenRight. But it can be done for way under a $100

Last edited:
Bump!

Just wanted to say, Redjeep2.0 and Myself just installed a 98' ZJ tank in his 97 XJ with zero modifications

23 gallons.. And they are the same pump

I wanted to put this out there since a tank is cheap and I can't seem to find much info from anyone else doing this.. The ZJ tank is the same depth at the fuel pump (so it should read accurately). But about 1" bigger in the other measurements

It's only a few extra gallons as opposed to the GenRight. But it can be done for way under a $100

This is great info.

Do you see any issues getting an aftermarket skid to fit around that larger zj tank?

I'm hesitant to say for certain if a stock XJ skid will fit, we plan to find a ZJ skid and try it out..

I have a zj skid that I just took off my jeep if you clowns want it. Has a few dents but not too bad.

I don't need it, just thought I'd throw it out there

Driver side looking up

6c95cdc04fe9104f64f8ad73eae6a17d.jpg

Passenger side looking up
24f22e5e9ab66f46914225428d2371e0.jpg

I don't see why a XJ tanks skid won't fit.

Im more worried about the amount it hangs down below the framerails. Wont be much of a gain if i squish it when putting the skid back on

Last edited:
Trying to see if the zj tank would fit inside the jcr skid i already have installed.

I should fit without issue. My new rig has a Grand Cherokee 23 gal tank and a stock ZJ skid. The Grand tank is the same depth and length, just wider. it fills the space all the way to the inside of the body rails.

I also have shackle relocators and big bumper brackets shoved in there. It all just fits

My 97 XJ with the ZJ gas tank

d241e2a60e8adb79304d7ae099fdd66a.jpg

My stock 01 XJ
ecff75b765e99b52607a018e2acdf308.jpg

It's cold outside and my stock jeep is low

But you can see they hang down the same

Makes sense because a ZJ gas tank skid will fit on a late model XJ (with re drilling holes)

Last edited:
Back