• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas mileage

tbrunson said:
Just bought the 2nd XJ last week and has 3" lift with 32's BFG MT's. Average of 17MPG. Keeping a clean air filter in helps. You might consider a throttle body spacer as well. think rusty's offroad a has the kit, so does powerade (sic?). An exhaust kit doesn't seem to help a lot in my experience either. You could also go with the premo spark plugs and the big plug wires. Think NGK does those. Port and polish intake or exhaust, this one makes me nervous on the xj's and doesn't last forever. My favorite right now is the TBS, small power boost and improved gas mileage for fairly cheap.

X2...I have the Poweraid TBS and love it!

I started reading this post last week, filled my tank and hit the trip odometer. as of tonight I have 125 miles on the trip odometer and my gas gauge is inbetween 1/4 and 1/2 tank, I might fill it tomorrow and see exactly what I got for mileage, I'm planning on a tune-up and putting it on the scope to see if any codes come up, it has 144,000 miles on it. But I can tell already it's getting terrible gas mileage. (4" lift,31" tires) at 55mph it tachs at about 2100rpms.

:huh:
a throttle body spacer will do absolutely nothing for fuel mileage

Alright. I cleaned the K+N. It got filthy over the course of less than a year. I also boosted the tires to 45 psi. Went from 13 mpg to 19.2. Tomorrow gonna pull the roof rack to see how much difference that makes. This might be a good excuse to buy a rear bumper and tire swing. Next, a tune up kit w/good plugs, maybe a throtle body spacer and a chip. Anybody have constructive feedback bout spacer and/or chip providing etra power and/or economy at around 2000 - 2100 rpm? Doe the "ram air" effect of an ARB snorkel really do anything? I love driving my jeep and really don't wanna drive an old honda back nd forth from work, but even at 19.2 mpg my commute still gonna cost $14.00 a day. Every little bit helps.

94 XJ 4.0, AX-15 4x4

31x10.5x15 and 4.10 gears, I get approx 15mpg. I've gotten 18 on the highway before.

theNAST1EST said:
sorry...that was 21 mpg highway, running at a steady 60-65

no speedo adjustments, 5.5" of lift, 31's on 15" steelies, stock gearing

just set yourself up behind a big rig, and take it easy on the skinny pedal

...oh, and the PA turnpike is no walk in the park

haha thats what I did the other day on my 225 mile round trip up to Findlay Ohio the girlfriend was freaking out.....cost me $35 to make the trip,so thats around 20 miles a gallon.Not too bad for an 89.....go renix!!!

I've been debating getting a 2wd 2 door 4.0 5spd for a daily. A buddy of mine claims the one he had could pull 25mpg on the highway!

It may be time to think about an oxygen sensor in front of the cat. Or your cat could be slowly plugging up, But more likely would be the O2 Sensor. I have an interesting one how about before i recently had my throttle body bored i was getting 18.5 mpg and now i am getting around 12 mpg?? I have not put an intake on yet however ??????

Couldn't say anything about a chip or snorkel on a Cherokee. Only direct experience with chips was in a F-350 Diesel and Dodge 2500 Diesel. There was improvement in gas mileage.

Holy crap!!! Some of you are talking about 20mpg!! I have a '92 with around 220,000mi, 32X11.5, stock wheels, cat back, intake, expensive plugs (nology silver, much better conductor of electricity than plat. or irid.), super conductor wires, and a nology profire coil. I get about 10mpg in town. I don’t drive enough on the hwy to get a good est. there. I have the stock 3.55s and have good power, but drive from gas station to gas station. I know that with 200,000+ miles there is a lot going on inside the engine that should not be but damn....

When my 99 was on 31's. I averaged 12.5mpg in town and 16 hwy. Thats with all tires aired properly, two new O2 sensors, intake, cat back, and no load.

rcmf5525 said:
Holy crap!!! Some of you are talking about 20mpg!! I have a '92 with around 220,000mi, 32X11.5, stock wheels, cat back, intake, expensive plugs (nology silver, much better conductor of electricity than plat. or irid.), super conductor wires, and a nology profire coil. I get about 10mpg in town. I don’t drive enough on the hwy to get a good est. there. I have the stock 3.55s and have good power, but drive from gas station to gas station. I know that with 200,000+ miles there is a lot going on inside the engine that should not be but damn....
regear.

well, when my '88 xj was bone stock with 235/75-15's i would get about 23m/gallon on the highway, i'm sure now that i have 31's i must be getting around 19 or so. i'm going to cut out my cat an put a straight pipe in and hopefully that will free aup alot of power and gas mileage, i'm sure with almost 500,000km it must be plugged like crazy. alos, now that i have 31's on should i still be shifting at about 2000rpm? or does it change to having to shift at a different engine speed now?

lancey3 said:

I hope you're right. I used to get 14 city and 20 highway on my stock '98 auto. After an RE3.5SF lift and 31" BFG-MT's, I'm around 11 city and 16 highway. Now, I must admit I don't drive anywhere near slow (75-80+ highway) and I'm not accelerating slowly from stop signs.

That being said, I've got a pair of 4.10 axles (rear 8.25 is getting a powetrax no-slip) and a fram airhog filter that are on their way in. Here's hoping I see 20mpg..... going downhill..... with a tailwind :)

well i just drove about 150miles in 4hi and i figured out that i was getting about 13mpg. is that pretty good for being in 4hi on really bad snow and ice covered highway doing between 45-50mph.

Back