• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pumps: what brand?

Yep, single regulator, but 2 check valves as stated before (one in the filter/regulator, one in the pump itself). Given that I'm absolutely having check valve issues of some kind now (gotta prime the pump twice or more for a quick cold start), I went ahead and snagged a complete Bosch assembly from Napa this morning.

I got it installed a bit ago and will update once I can verify if it has had any impact whatsoever on the heat soak issue.

Well, the new pump has fixed about 80% of the vapor lock/heat soak issues, but extreme cases that would previously stall the engine still remain (though DRASTICALLY reduced - now they last about 15 seconds at most). Went on a camping trip up to Marble Falls yesterday running the jeep hard as hell in nearly 100° weather with several stops that put it to the test.

Time for a fan timer. At least my fuel pump should be good for another 200,000 miles now.

Follow-up: I've been driving the XJ daily since I replaced the fuel pump and have only had one heat soak incident since my last post (very brief and no codes). Night and day compared to before. Now I'm wishing I had tried just replacing the filter/regulator, but oh well.

Exhaust work is needed so it's being parked for a bit. I'm hoping to see if replacing or eliminating the pre-cats will reduce engine bay temps enough to eradicate the issue entirely without a fan timer.

Back