• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frusterated with steering issue

Those angles look terrible without even seeing the rest of it!

so bad angles will cause the jeep to swerve erraticly and cause the steering wheel to shift while still driving straight? hard to describe accuately...sorry

Well I don't believe a bad tie rod angle will cause bad steering because mine is just as bad as yours and I have no bump steer or wondering. What you want is to have your drag link and track bar to be parallel,(see pic) this will stop bump steer. If it’s just wondering on the road then you need to look into what your caster is. Do you know what your caster is set at? I'm gussing not, heres how. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

WheelinTuttleCreek83110017.jpg

Hard to tell because of the glare, but it looks like your trackbar-drag link angles *might* be ok. Yeah, the trackball itself is at a completely different angle than the drag link, but the bar can be any shape you want... its mounting-point to mounting-point that needs to be parallel. If you can get a pic just like that without the glare, we'll be able to tell by drawing lines on the pic.

EDIT: that pic won't work at all. Turning the wheels changes all the angles... your steering wheel needs to be centered.

Photo-0098.jpg

Last edited:
caster was only checked by ORW and they told me it was good...the RC kit said to set the length of the upper and lower CA's to a given value and I did the best I could with a tape measure...not too sure that ORW even checked caster

its a scary wander... I can barley keep it in the lane im driving in...not a death wobble (i dont think) its causes major anxiety while on the freeway(65mph or more)...on surface streets its more manageable.

With that much play, have you checked the tie rod ends? Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch it.

I checked the tre's while stock and they were fine but I opted to replace them thinkng I was getting some flex in the tie rod replaced the stock stuff with the currie heavy duty tie rod and drag link and they are tight as well...ball joints are tight too and the track bar bushings and mount

Back