• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front tow points

Cliff

NAXJA Forum User
Ok im wanting front tow points and I think I have founds exactly what I want. On www.madxj.xom under Jeff Ayers custom front bumper he has a Pic of front shackle mount brackets derectly to the frame independent of the bumper. Ive been thinking about somthing like this. has any one else done this and what whould be the down side to doing this.

if you have done this i would love to see more details and pics.

I just took a brief glance at it and didn't see enough detail to give any indication of how to reproduce it. COpule things to keep in mind:
1. don't attach only to frame
2. triangulate

A good thing that ou might be able to do is look for threads about front tow hooks. Sequoia posted some pics couple times that show how the stock towhook brackets attach and if you want to do dring/shackle, I'd say reproduce stock bracket mount and design it with the shackle/dring in mind.

thanks kejtar

Im thinking of reproducing the tow hook brakets but making them into a C channle that fits over and sandwitches the rails up front. I think this would solve most of the problems pepole face with the front tow points bending. I might even try and link together the two points with a brace at the front bulkhead like rigid dose. I need to crall under there and mock up with some cardbord see what can be done.

Cliff said:
thanks kejtar

Im thinking of reproducing the tow hook brakets but making them into a C channle that fits over and sandwitches the rails up front. I think this would solve most of the problems pepole face with the front tow points bending. I might even try and link together the two points with a brace at the front bulkhead like rigid dose. I need to crall under there and mock up with some cardbord see what can be done.

Good idea on linking them as you're right at the front of the frame rail and you'd probably wouldn't want to bend it.

Cliff said:
thanks kejtar

Just make sure that you anchor your brackets to the reinforced frame hole slightly aft of the sway bar bushings. Note that MadXJ's towhook bracket, like the factory one, uses this hole, which will prevent damage to the vehicle if you pull too hard. Also make sure that you use a shallow bolt head on that hole, so that the sway bar doesn't hit it. Looking at the factory brackets I recently got from the junkyard and installed, which were a little bent at the hook end, it looks as if a good deal of strength could be added by simply adding a piece of angle iron or the like between the two, using the same bolts and holes that the hooks use.

Back