• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front suspension set up Long arm?

98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at one XJ today and noticed that it had long arm set-up. Weird thing was there was only one UCA on the pumpking of front axle. There were 2 LCA however.
What is up with it?
Is it someting new or just half-a$$ set-up?:huh:
Thanks!

Never mind, found it. Rock Krawler makes this wierd set-up!
Anyone know if it is any good?
Thanks!

I looked at that as well as the TNT set up before I purchased mine from Full Traction and I just am not convinced about the Y-radius or the 3-link set up. I'm always worried about something failing and on a Y-radius, if you blow a control arm, you're done....on a 3-link, you over stress that upper control arm and tweak it, break it, rip it off...you're done. At least with a 4-link you can limp home unless you're really screwed up and break 2 control arms.

HillbillyXJ said:
Clayton long arm system, they warranty their stuff fer life. You breaky, they fixee!
That doesn't do much good if you break it on a trail a few hundred miles from home.

53guy said:
I looked at that as well as the TNT set up before I purchased mine from Full Traction and I just am not convinced about the Y-radius or the 3-link set up. I'm always worried about something failing and on a Y-radius, if you blow a control arm, you're done....on a 3-link, you over stress that upper control arm and tweak it, break it, rip it off...you're done. At least with a 4-link you can limp home unless you're really screwed up and break 2 control arms.

has this happened before? RK uses a spherical joint on all ends, so there is minimal binding. much less binding then any radius style setup.

I've never personally read about it breaking, but in theory if it did, you'd be up shit creek, ya know what i mean?

where have i read this before?.........

oh yeah....here! about 1,569,225 times!!!

98XJ said:
I was looking at one XJ today and noticed that it had long arm set-up. Weird thing was there was only one UCA on the pumpking of front axle. There were 2 LCA however.
What is up with it?
Is it someting new or just half-a$$ set-up?:huh:
Thanks!
I got that reaction from a welding shop once. I drop my car off to get a new sway bar bracket welded and he says to come back in an hour. I come back and he hasn't welded anything and says he needs to show me something. He walks me back to the lift and says "you're missing a control arm".

Back