• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Spacer Install

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
So I just got my Teraflex Spacer and Shackle kit today (those shackles are huge!) and reading the instructions It has me removing the track bar bolt, the whole shock, and sway bar links.... Do I really need to pull all this off? I have spring compressors so I can compress the coil and pull it out.

Is there more reason to removing this stuff then just to get the spring out? Can I not compress the spring enough to put it back in with the spacer?

thanks....

Yes to all of it. You'll want the axle to droop as far down as possible to get those spacers in. And good luck with putting the stock coils back in with no spring compressors, they are a PITA to get back in, but a little patience and a big pry bar should get them back in place :laugh3:

Edit: You don't need to remove the whole shock, just pull the bolts off one end and you're good to go, but you should really think about replacing them with longer ones anyway.....

Edit again: Just saw that you do have compressors, I thought you said you didn't. Carry on....it'll be an easy job so long as the shackle bolts don't break the nutserts loose in the frame rail.

Last edited:
more for reinstallation reasons

i think the reason they want you to disconnect all those things is not so much to get the springs out, but to drop the axle down far enough to get the spacer and spring back in. it would depend on the type of spring compressor you are using. when i did my spacer lift my spring compressor wasn't able to compress the spring down far enough for install of the spacer, but i did use it to make it easier to install the spacer so the axle did not have to drop as far. hope this helps you out some. best of luck

if you pull the swaybar and do one side at a time with the jeep on stands and a jack under the other side of the axle that you're not doing, you may or may not be able to get the spacer in... you could probably do it w/o disconnecting the track bar, but the sway bar definitely would have to get discoed.

I just added spacers to my lift and all you need to do is disconnect the sway bar links and bottom shock bolts. I rented coil spring compressors just like you have for free at Auto Zone.

sjx40250 said:
X2 - Bought my spring compressors at Harbor Freight for $6. Get two sets so you can get the spring in the right place when unloading.

I had a set of the Harbor Freight ones. I wouldn't allow my worst enemy to use those POS compressors. Throw them in the nearest dumpster before someone gets hurt and go rent a good set at Auto Zone.

Let your axle droop far enough and you do not need spring compressors. I just replaced my front axle a couple of weeks ago and put the 4.5" springs without the compressors.

Back