• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front recovery point idea

Both the backbone and what Love2ride did are really cool. I had never seen that before and most front recievers I have seen hang down underneath and I don't really dig that. I was wanting to retain my stock bumper so I had been contemplating something similar but my idea was to have the shackle tabs sticking through the bumper rather than hanging underneath. I need front recovery points but dont really have a need for a big heavy bumper or winch mount. I have an old reciever that I might hack up and do the reciever behind the bumper but also add the shackle tabs. I wasn't originally planning on having a reciever but I could see the reciever being usefull for a winch mount or maybe a removable aux light mount or something like that.

I've been looking at my last design and at my stock bumper, and I don't think I'll have room to do the 45* angle support tabs behind the bumper. A to Z Fabrications has some 4.5" long shackle mounts that I'm thinking about using - they're 1" thick! http://www.atozfabrication.com/catalog/bumperclevismounts-p-35.html I contacted them, and they said they'd make them longer if I wanted them longer. That oughtta hold a bit of weight. It also looks like if I'm able to do it this way and mount the shackle tabs to the inside of the frame plates, the tabs will clear my bumper caps. Not by a lot, but they'll clear.

If I'm able to put a few of these together for a reasonable price is there anyone else that would seriously be interested in one? I mean seriously, like I don't want four of these laying around in my garage. You want one, you bought one. I'm just guessing that if I could put together four or five of them, it'd be cheaper than just building one. Post up or PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:
joshv98xj said:
I hear what you're saying, but I don't think the way I have it designed is weak by any means. There are a number of bumper manufacturers that sell bumpers with D-ring tabs simply welded onto the face of their bumpers. I'm not saying that is a good idea, but I think my design is stronger than that. I think it is a little simpler than your idea, and I would like to keep it simple if possible. If I wanted complicated and expensive, I'd just build my own bumper.

I do not think your design is weak, I just think it could be better. I actually think it would be easier/less welding to do it "my way" I say my way, but more accurately it is the way the best bumpers with shackle mounts are made. I think your design is good, and I still think it's a good idea, I'm just offering suggestions on how to improve it. Take it for what it's worth. I am just a back yard fabricator anyway. Seriously, I am. I would think twice or three times before I told someone else they could rely on my designs 100%. It has to be your decision in the end.:thumbup: I was actually just thinking about another way to build it, I'll see if I can put my thoughts on "paper" for you.:thumbup:

Alright, sorry for it's obvious crude nature, but this is basically what I was thinking. Rather than square tube across the front, just use a plate, like the backbone. Build your frame mounts long enough to protrude through your bumper for shackle mounts. Then build a properly sized filler to attach to the inside of that (basically making your shackle mount wider). You may want to use two of these fillers, one inside, one outside, to achieve a nice thick shackle mount. Then your shackle mount is part of the bumper bracket, not just welded to it.

frontrecovery2.jpg

Crap, I already want to modify it.... Hold please....

Okay, so here is verson 1.1. I added fillers on the outside, and made a continuous piece between the shackle mounts to give them lateral support. You could stitch it to the center section.

I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud here, someone point out my inherent design flaws.
frontrecovery2-1.jpg

Love2Ride450 said:
I do not think your design is weak, I just think it could be better. I actually think it would be easier/less welding to do it "my way" I say my way, but more accurately it is the way the best bumpers with shackle mounts are made. I think your design is good, and I still think it's a good idea, I'm just offering suggestions on how to improve it. Take it for what it's worth. I am just a back yard fabricator anyway. Seriously, I am. I would think twice or three times before I told someone else they could rely on my designs 100%. It has to be your decision in the end.:thumbup: I was actually just thinking about another way to build it, I'll see if I can put my thoughts on "paper" for you.:thumbup:

No offense taken, I appreciate the feedback, that's why I posted. I'm in working in my backyard too. Yeah, I'd be interested to see what you come up with on paper if you get a chance.

joshv98xj said:
No offense taken, I appreciate the feedback, that's why I posted. I'm in working in my backyard too. Yeah, I'd be interested to see what you come up with on paper if you get a chance.

uhhh. Check the post above yours... I kinda put it down for ya...

Yeah, I started a reply like two hours ago and never finished it, so that's what I get....

Your idea makes a bit more sense now that I can visualize it a little better.

I think this is turning into more work than I thought it was going to be.....It'd be easier if I had a welder.... and steel laying around....

I think what you've got drawn would be fine in a front pull, but part of what I'm trying to accomplish is something that will be nearly as strong in a side pull. Part of what I like about my drawing is that the shackle mount can't move- it's prying against the piece of box steel and the frame mounts, with multiple reinforcing welds. I think you are right, your drawing would be a little simpler, and I like the shackle tab being a part of the frame plate. It just seems that there's not a ton of reinforcement for an odd-angled pull. Something that's a combination of what we've come up with might work. 1/4" side plate, 1/2" thick shackle tab, run through a piece of box steel.....

Last edited:
Here we go.....the only downside is that I'd have to fab up my own brackets. I was kind of hoping I could get away with using some pre-fabbed brackets from Ukraine Train. Might be cheaper this way though....

CopyofBumperdesigncombo.jpg

Back