• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front ford dana 44 on cherokee???

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
I know someone selling a narrowed ford dana 44 front axle. it was narrowed to fit a a ranger Im wondering if it would work for a jeep cherokee??

what do i need to know about it to figure out if it would work?

thanks

Wow, I would certainly not agree with that. There is a considerable cost difference between the two. And if you don't need the 60 strength, it could be considered a large waste of money.
X2 around here D60 fronts are worth their weight in gold!!:eek: And if you get the right D44 then the gains are 110% worth it. BUT if I got a good deal on a D60 I would be all over it.

I know someone selling a narrowed ford dana 44 front axle. it was narrowed to fit a a ranger Im wondering if it would work for a jeep cherokee??

what do i need to know about it to figure out if it would work?

thanks

Does it have brackets? Do you know how much it has been narrowed? Any pics?

Scott

Wow, I would certainly not agree with that. There is a considerable cost difference between the two. And if you don't need the 60 strength, it could be considered a large waste of money.

I completely agree with you.

yes it will work, but its not really worth it. The strength increase is minimal. If your going to do the work the install a better front end, get a D60.

lol 60, lol minimal strength increase, 37s on narrowed HP44 from 79 Bronco for 7 years and thousands of miles through Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Washington, Oregon, and Baja Mexico running on PFM and unicorn tears.

derpy derp derp

440645639_XbnTV-XL-1.jpg

D60 over a D44? Maybe.
Depends on the terrain, type of wheeling, tire size, and more imortantly...the driver. If the OP is on antything smaller then 35's the D60 makes do sense. The diff is massive and will drag on just abut everything.

I've been running my narrowed Ford HP D44 for a few years (35's) and the only carnage was a lost u-joint cap.

hpD30's are good for up to a 35ish tire. The serviceable bearings and hubs are nice on a 44, but d30 unit bearings have proven to be pretty durable. Not much difference in ball joint strengths, some 44s come with king pins. 44s have a bigger ring ans pinion. Your not going to break a properly set up d30 ring and pinion with stock shafts. The shaft, stub, and or u joint will go first. 30's and 44's use the same u joints and similar shaft diameters. cromo shafts and u joints are expensive. Money better spent towards a 60. Just my .02 cents and I have a narrowed hp dana 44 BTW

hpD30's are good for up to a 35ish tire. The serviceable bearings and hubs are nice on a 44, but d30 unit bearings have proven to be pretty durable. Not much difference in ball joint strengths, some 44s come with king pins. 44s have a bigger ring ans pinion. Your not going to break a properly set up d30 ring and pinion with stock shafts. The shaft, stub, and or u joint will go first. 30's and 44's use the same u joints and similar shaft diameters. cromo shafts and u joints are expensive. Money better spent towards a 60. Just my .02 cents and I have a narrowed hp dana 44 BTW

You forgot to mention the brake upgrade, the 1/2ton Chevy calipers on the front of my 44 stop my 35s way faster than my D30 calipers stopped my 33s. Another nice thing about the 44 over 30 is you can unlock the hubs and save a little gas plus make it of the trail with broken parts. Try driving home with a busted D30 ring gear.

You forgot to mention the brake upgrade, the 1/2ton Chevy calipers on the front of my 44 stop my 35s way faster than my D30 calipers stopped my 33s. Another nice thing about the 44 over 30 is you can unlock the hubs and save a little gas plus make it of the trail with broken parts. Try driving home with a busted D30 ring gear.

Yes sir you are correct, that's a big one. xjd30s brakes are crap. I guess a 44 would be worth it for a lot of people.

Also 44s weigh less than 60s

Good looking jeep ecksjay. The manual hubs are a nice touch.
Did you have to narrow the axle?

Thanks! Yeah axle was narrowed. Short side is a Wagoneer length...long side, not sure. The shafts I have for it are about 30 3/4", IIRC.

And Joe, break a R&P on a D30 you just pull the inner shafts, shove rags in the tubes, and leave the stubs in the bearings. :) But yeah, the 44 setup is better than the 30 for a lot of applications, but the 60 is overkill for many of us.

Thanks! Yeah axle was narrowed. Short side is a Wagoneer length...long side, not sure. The shafts I have for it are about 30 3/4", IIRC.

And Joe, break a R&P on a D30 you just pull the inner shafts, shove rags in the tubes, and leave the stubs in the bearings. :) But yeah, the 44 setup is better than the 30 for a lot of applications, but the 60 is overkill for many of us.

That's a lot of work. I'd rather just unlock my hubs.

Dana 60's are for lead footed hillbillies.

Back