• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Fender Trim Write Up (Retaining the stock flare)

I just got done trimming mine following 53guys write ups, front and rear, thanks for the great posts and photos. When it came time to do the hole on the front drivers side where the drill will make contact with the washer fluid bottle , I shoved a small piece of 1x6 deck board I had lying around the garage up inbetween the front quarter and the bottle to block the drill on break through. Worked well.

I would go with a Dremel .I used a dremel on mine and they came out really good with nice edges minus a bur here and there.If you do go Dremel get the reinforced discs as they last alot longer than the regular ones.You will use about 2-3 per fender if you dont make them smoke and burn them up.

I used an angle grinder. It works wonderful and makes quick work of it all.

Nice write up. I have a 91' XJ on 37" MTRs with 8" lift and I've hacked up the fenders pretty good and use TJ flares.

I'm just itching big time to run my brother-in-law's TJ dana 30 with 4.88 gears, Lockrite, heavy duty steering and his rear early Bronco 9" with 4.88 gears, spool, and 31 spline alloys 5 on 4.5 on my daily driver 98' XJ 2dr. He is going HP44/9" full width like my 91' on his 91' wheeler.

I want to fit 33's with 3" lift so I don't need to mess with control arms, SYE, etc etc so I need all the fender trimming possible to do this. Kind of like opening up a can of worms when you have 4.88 geared axle you would like to run to replace the stock 3.07 gears in my 98' with a 5 speed, then you have to run bigger tires, some lift, fender trimming, etc etc. :laugh3:

I plan to do light trail stuff, anything not to make me feel that my 91' on 37's is neglegted. :laugh3:

Those SS emblems are awesome. I don't know what model you have, but if you have a Sport from the factory....with all your mods you now have a Super Sport. I want those for my black 98' 2 dr XJ, those red emblems look good against a dark color like black, dark blue, etc.

Last edited:
white_elephant said:
i know this is old but i need to ask...

did you cut the flare too???

or how did you put it up with out moddifinf the rear??

I'm not so sure what you're asking about the rear and all, but in step 11, I mentioned trimming the back side of the flare to match your body line. So I guess yeah, the flare was trimmed slightly. :guitar:

Not a problem, did that answer your question? Thanks for the compliment!

did anyone use a cut off wheel to cut and bend these things?
standard

since i dont have a lift yet, ive hearde that, if you flex enough, that can cut your tire open. ive hearde you can get a cut off wheel and cut the weld marks and bend them so theyre not sharp. my question is, do i have to use a cut off wheel? or is there something else i can use, like, a sawzall or something?

you don't want to cut that section out. instead you want to cut slits in it and beat it in flat. much like you do in the rear fenders of XJ's. so i guess you could use whatever you wanted to make the slits. i used a Dremel

Yeah, buy a ton of blades though. I used an angle grinder. Took about 3 min a side to cut and about 30 seconds a side to beat it in with a hammer. Simple enough. Check out post 22. Got covered there....

lowrange2 said:
No he took them down about 2 weeks ago... check with 5-90 I believe he has them backed up somewhere.

Yup, 5-90 has the PDF file of them.

I've got copies now if anyone needs the PDF files, feel free to PM me or email me [email protected] I'll need your email address to send them to you if you want a copy, so please include that.

Last edited:
Back