• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end recovery point with no tow hooks

ehall, don't you have some shots somwhere of your front hitch?

2666735_17_full.jpg

Here's a shot showing the front hitch. Keep in mind you also get two welded loops on either side of the 2" receiver for recovery points. I like the receiver up front for hitch, shackle, or winch options.

2666735_14_full.jpg

Here's another shot with the bumper removed. Shows part of the mounting bolts and a better view of the loops. You can still use recovery hooks, which are mounted to either side of the hitch, but you must lose your engine skid if you have one.

2666735_98_full.jpg

Seems like the winch would ride extremely low I guess you could have one that came out and went up (opposite of a drop hitch). Have you had any issues with the the hitch hitting when approaching a steep incline? Anyone have pics of a winch mounted on one of these?

Most people that run a front receiver hitch have a winch that's mounted on a plate that slides into the receiver. Then they have the power cables wired into the connectors that electric forklift's use, so when not in use it can be stored in back and when needed can be installed pretty quickly.

Like that front receiver, would be cool for putting the boat in too. Sure would be nice though to see a pic of a winch in place. If high enough that would likely sell me on the whole idea.

my buddy has an 8274 on a hitch mount on his 87 YJ. it looks a bit dumb sticking out like it does, but its done the rubicon several times and has come in very handy from both ends. his is on about a 6-8" riser(?guess) from the hitch to the to the mounting plate. i ran his rig on the JJ event this summer and forgot it was there.

I still dont see how the hitch mount is strong enough. It just bolts to the bottom off the uni-frame. There doesnt seem to be any brackets that spread the load out like which comes with all the recovery hooks.

This might sound stupid and I might get flamed but,

Looking at the previous picture. I think it could be possible for someone to fab up a similar mount, but have the new mount...
  • mount to the uni-body in the same spot
  • invert the cross section so that instead of being designed to be lower then the mounting points it rest between the mounting points
  • then weld the receiver above/on top of the cross section, just about where you can see the steering stabliizer mounting bolt
  • cut a square hole in the bumper, to allow access to the receiver
Then, no approach/dragging issues, a winch would look right at home mounted in the center of the front bumper, and everybody's happy!!:party:
I really like the idea, I'd buy one in a heart beat.....has anybody ever seen that done? are they already available? if not....are their any patten attorneys on here??

ive used the stock front sway bar plenty of times....much stringer then i had thought

im about to tow a 96 6cyl about 8 miles in my 86 4cyl.
i went and bought a tow rope from wal mart thats safe up too 2266lbs but has a breaking point of 6800lbs.
is this a good idea and where sould i strap the rope too on the 96???

the front frame rails are plated

Then why are there no hook kits that mount to the same spot as the hitch? Why are all the hook kits mounted with brackets that spread the load out with 2 big brackets? Maybe Im just missing something but it doesnt make sense to me...

Then why are there no hook kits that mount to the same spot as the hitch? Why are all the hook kits mounted with brackets that spread the load out with 2 big brackets? Maybe Im just missing something but it doesnt make sense to me...

Go out and look at a front hitch and look at the tow hook brackets.

Tow hook brackets mount to the bumper bolt holes and one 9/16" bolt. This is how my Rusty's brackets are and they held up ok based on the abuse I put them through, but the brackets bent because of lack of tie-in to the front crossmember. You are only pulling on the 4 bolts per side, and if it's a side pull, you are basically trying to pull the bolts out of the frame instead of trying to shear them. That's why most companies supply the L brackets with 2 more tie in points to the front crossmember; to help with side pulls.

With a front hitch you are always pulling on all 6 bolts. Doesn't matter if it's a side pull or a straight pull and you are always trying to shear the bolts. That's why there isn't a need for anymore bolts.

If you're wondering why companies are making them the way they do, it's easier to copy OEM and reproduce them than to redesign a whole new product.

Back