• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axel Question

bigdbrown

NAXJA Forum User
my son had an accident in our 1999 jeep Cherokee 4x4 that damaged the front axel and related components. I am having trouble finding a 1999 axle. Is there a year range that I could look for (example 1996-2001) that would be a direct swap. Also could I take the front drive shaft off and direct swap a 2 wheel drive axel, again looking for a year range. I am fairly handy with tools and haven't paid anyone to work on a vehicle in 20 years. I am not looking to fabricate anything, only for a direct swap. If I have to replace control arms, breaks or something like that, I am good with it. I will likely go to pick n pull or something similar to get parts. It also destroyed the steering control box. Any thoughts would be appreciate. God Bless

and xj axle will work, but id go for 91-99 and therey dont have the vacum disconect

Stick with 96-99. Reason being that they have the larger axle shaft joints, and they are a high pinion. If either of these do not matter to you then a 91-01 will work. Be sure to get the front drive shaft on the 00-01 as the lengths are different for the shaft because they are low pinion axles.

Stick with 96-99. Reason being that they have the larger axle shaft joints, and they are a high pinion. If either of these do not matter to you then a 91-01 will work. Be sure to get the front drive shaft on the 00-01 as the lengths are different for the shaft because they are low pinion axles.
The driveshafts are the same between HP/LP!

and xj axle will work, but id go for 91-99 and therey dont have the vacum disconect

I got out my trusty Capn Midnight decoder ring and came up with this translation:

'Any year XJ axle will work, but, I'd go for a 91-99 as they do not have a vacuum disconnect'

Notes:
* You can fix the vacuum disco so it is not an issue.
* Late model axles from late 99' on up have a low pinion axle, which will bolt right in. Your existing driveshaft might even be OK since it is only about an inch difference.

Any year XJ axle will swap, though as mentioned, you may want to stay with something a bit more modern (96' though 99') so you are ensured of the same sized wheel joints, hubs, brakes, and all the other goodies so that it is not a problem when you go to the autoparts store for maintance items.

You should not have any problem finding these axles in any quantity.

Ron

just something worth mentioning is if your 99 has the cast rotors you'll have to replace the rotors and get composite ones if you get a complete axle out of a earlier year. You could swap the hubs from your 99 assuming they are not damaged.

another question, can i swap a 2wd axel for a 4x4 axel? I have two cherokees. They appear to be identical and this one wont be going off road. I would think ot would be easier to just put a 2 wheel drive straight axel under there.

Yes, you can put the 2WD axle beam in place of the 4WD axle. It will bolt right in. I went the other way and converted my 2WD to 4WD about 10 years ago.

another question, can i swap a 2wd axel for a 4x4 axel? I have two cherokees. They appear to be identical and this one wont be going off road. I would think ot would be easier to just put a 2 wheel drive straight axel under there.
If the(AXLES)appear to be the same,then 1 of them is not a 2WD axle.The difference between the two is strikingly obvious!

The driveshafts are the same between HP/LP!

I'm not sure that is a correct statement. I'm putting a HP into my '01, and the Front DS is too long to hook up. Yes the suspension was drooped, but I litterally couldn't get the Ujoint onto the yoke...too long. I was suprised...and apparently, I'll need an earlier DS.....:rattle:
Please correct me if I'm doing something wrong! Thanks:D

I am having trouble finding a 1999 axle. Is there a year range that I could look for (example 1996-2001) that would be a direct swap. Also could I take the front drive shaft off and direct swap a 2 wheel drive axel, again looking for a year range. I am fairly handy with tools and haven't paid anyone to work on a vehicle in 20 years. I am not looking to fabricate anything, only for a direct swap. If I have to replace control arms, breaks or something like that, I am good with it. I will likely go to pick n pull or something similar to get parts. It also destroyed the steering control box. Any thoughts would be appreciate. God Bless

Finding a replacement front axle assembly (96 to 99 year range would work out well for you for a couple reasons) will be easy if your xj is an auto with 3.55 gearing. If your unit is a four banger, it would be tougher to find that front axle due to it's rarity (4.10 gearing). Your differential gears must match front and rear. Expect to pay anywhere around $150 at a picknpull.

Steering boxes are also easy to find. I would not recommend you swapping in a straight shaft and losing your 4x4. Same basic work involved between the two.

You can do this as countless other have done. And you will be amazed at how relatively easy it is. What you need to check out, however, is whether there was any frame damage up front, around your steering box. If that part of your frame is out of whack, then it would have to be repaired before you could expect parts to line up with their respective bolt holes and drive properly. Good luck.

I'm not sure that is a correct statement. I'm putting a HP into my '01, and the Front DS is too long to hook up. Yes the suspension was drooped, but I litterally couldn't get the Ujoint onto the yoke...too long. I was suprised...and apparently, I'll need an earlier DS.....:rattle:
Please correct me if I'm doing something wrong! Thanks:D

I've been edumacated...apparently the DS are the same...my LCA's are too short...:passgas:

The control arms are the same from Hi-lo pinion 30's. The shaft you have should work. I've thrown my front shaft in a friends(I have a hi pinion and he has the lo pinion). You may want to see if the slip section of the drive shaft is binding up. Try to slide it back and forth from fully compressed to fully extended. Try not to pull it completely apart, if you do make sure you get it back together in the same spline so you don't throw the shaft out of phase.(this will cause bad vibs) Good idea to mark it so your lines line up.

Back